Wednesday, November 2, 2011

gratitude: day 2

Today when I was out running errands, my breath was taken away by the amazing fall colors everywhere. I was reminded how much I forget to stop and take notice of the beauty that surrounds me every day, and how much more I need to express my gratitude for blessings.

Since it's Thanksgiving month, I'm going to take a photo and blog about something for which I'm grateful for every day.  I started "My Cup Runneth Over," a gratitude photo journal about a year and a half ago and kept up with it for a while. It helped me through a very difficult time during our adoption process, when the winds of change were blowing at hurricane speed. I needed to slow down and feel joy. I feel joy most as a result one of two things: service or gratitude. One day, I want to publish my gratitude journal so that I can read it when I'm feeling picked on. But for now, I'm going to start writing in it again. I'll publish my posts this month here as well.

So my post yesterday, November 1 was about Halloween. I was just grateful that Halloween was over with. Ha ha!

nov. 2: today, I'm grateful for 

autumn.


our maple tree


i love autumn. 

the smells: 
wet leaves
the furnace warming the chilly house in the mornings 
apple or pumpkin desserts baking in the oven 
hearty soups on the stove. 

i love the sound of leaves crunching under my feet
and the feel of my cozy sweaters that come out of hiding.

i love the taste of fresh, crispy apples
hearty meals
and the feeling that I get
when all of my family is around the table enjoying them.

i love that I actually want to cook again.
 it's usually in the fall that I try many new recipes.

even though I know that winter is approaching
and all the things that I love most about fall
will slowly lose their appeal,
i love enjoying them
relishing in the change of seasons
even if it's just for a while. 

from the song called "every season" by kenneth cope,
here's the verse about autumn:


And even when the trees have just
 surrendered

to the harvest time
forfeiting their leaves in late September
and sending us inside
still I notice you
when change begins
and I am braced for colder winds
I will offer thanks for what has been
and what's to come.
you are autumn.

2 comments:

Jen Rutter said...

Everyday I pull out of our garage, I think to myself, wow, that Maple tree is so pretty. I don't think I have ever seen it so red!

The Mac's House said...

I am thankful for you sharing your journey of adoption and your faith.

I have learned so much about your faith thru your posts and I truly appreciate it.

:)
Teri