When we were here in Moscow to finish Anya's adoption in March of 2011, we stayed with an American family who works for the Embassy, named the Titus'. We knew of them because Jeff's parents are neighbors of Jeremy's parents. Well, their 3 years in Moscow expired this past summer, so they don't live here any more. But Emily gave me the e-mail addresses of a few of her LDS friends that are still here, in case we needed to extend our stay longer and needed a place to stay.
Since we'll be at the Embassy, then in the air for Christmas Eve, Sadie and I have been sad that we're missing out on the most spiritual part of our Christmas celebrations: being with our extended family and talking about the One who Christmas is all about. So I e-mailed one of the couples that Emily had referred me to. They live on the Embassy compound and are LDS as well. I asked if they would like to have some visitors for a couple of hours tonight. They said they had plans to do a nativity re-enactment with another family who lives in the compound and that they would love to have us join them. We were grateful, and excited for a little change of scenery.
The husband (who happens to be the bishop in the Moscow English-speaking ward) came to the hotel to pick us up. It was really interesting going to their apartment. We had to stop at the gate, his SUV had to be scanned for bombs, then I had to go inside a little building and leave my passport with them, in exchange for a badge that I would keep with me while during our visit. Wow, what a process! But it's good to know our country's Embassy employees are safe!
The wife, Melissa was so kind to make us dinner. We had chili and biscuits. After dinner, we sat in their living room for a half hour or so and waited for their friends to arrive. Sadie and I watched Hazel carefully to see how she interacted with their 2- and 4-year old kiddos. Jeremy and I have never seen her interact with other children because we've always been isolated for our visits. Turns out, she socialized with them very well! She imitated their actions, took turns, played ring-around-the-rosies...everything I have hoped for. We did have to stop her a couple of times from pulling hair. But other than that, she behaved like a lady.
The dad of the family read from Luke 2, cuing the children as he went along. We paused for Christmas carols several times throughout.
And the angel said unto them, Fear not: for, behold, I bring you agood tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people.
For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Saviour, which is Christ the Lord.
And this shall be a sign unto you; Ye shall find the babe wrapped in swaddling clothes, lying in a manger.
And suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host praising God, and saying,
Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, good will toward men.

It felt wonderful to once again feel the spirit of Christmas and think about our Savior. I'm grateful we had this opportunity.
After the re-enactment, we had hot cocoa and cookies, then they took us back to the hotel.
Tomorrow is our big day. Our Embassy appointment is at 11:00, then we head straight for the airport so that we can catch our 3:40 pm flight.
We covet your prayers once again. I'm feeling a lot of anxiety about the possibility of complications with our journey home. Our layover in New York is only two hours long, which seems like a long time, but you have to go through passport control, get your bag (which we will accidentally on purpose leave there if we're at all behind schedule,) go through customs, then over to immigration to have all of Hazel's paperwork processed. THEN we have to walk a ways to get to the new terminal (or take the air tram. Not sure which terminals we're working with this time) go through the security line in that new terminal, then head toward our gate, which can be another long walk. The whole thing is making about giving me hives as I think about it. I may have another cold sore before we land. LOL.
Like I say...we would so appreciate it if you all would say a prayer for us tonight when you go to bed. We're praying that our flight from Moscow to NYC will be early or at least on-time, and that things move quickly enough when we get there.
Thanks again for your words of encouragement and support. I'm really just amazed at how much the Lord is blessing us right now. Hazel is so much more amazing than I had ever imagined, even after coming to see her twice this year. We seriously can't get enough of her and I know the rest of the family is going to feel the same way. She is the missing piece in our family puzzle. One that could never have found it's proper place without so much love and support from so many people.
I will forever be grateful for this, our 2012 Christmas Miracle.
Since we'll be at the Embassy, then in the air for Christmas Eve, Sadie and I have been sad that we're missing out on the most spiritual part of our Christmas celebrations: being with our extended family and talking about the One who Christmas is all about. So I e-mailed one of the couples that Emily had referred me to. They live on the Embassy compound and are LDS as well. I asked if they would like to have some visitors for a couple of hours tonight. They said they had plans to do a nativity re-enactment with another family who lives in the compound and that they would love to have us join them. We were grateful, and excited for a little change of scenery.
The husband (who happens to be the bishop in the Moscow English-speaking ward) came to the hotel to pick us up. It was really interesting going to their apartment. We had to stop at the gate, his SUV had to be scanned for bombs, then I had to go inside a little building and leave my passport with them, in exchange for a badge that I would keep with me while during our visit. Wow, what a process! But it's good to know our country's Embassy employees are safe!
The wife, Melissa was so kind to make us dinner. We had chili and biscuits. After dinner, we sat in their living room for a half hour or so and waited for their friends to arrive. Sadie and I watched Hazel carefully to see how she interacted with their 2- and 4-year old kiddos. Jeremy and I have never seen her interact with other children because we've always been isolated for our visits. Turns out, she socialized with them very well! She imitated their actions, took turns, played ring-around-the-rosies...everything I have hoped for. We did have to stop her a couple of times from pulling hair. But other than that, she behaved like a lady.
The dad of the family read from Luke 2, cuing the children as he went along. We paused for Christmas carols several times throughout.
And the angel said unto them, Fear not: for, behold, I bring you agood tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people.
For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Saviour, which is Christ the Lord.
And this shall be a sign unto you; Ye shall find the babe wrapped in swaddling clothes, lying in a manger.
And suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host praising God, and saying,
Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, good will toward men.
After the re-enactment, we had hot cocoa and cookies, then they took us back to the hotel.
Tomorrow is our big day. Our Embassy appointment is at 11:00, then we head straight for the airport so that we can catch our 3:40 pm flight.
We covet your prayers once again. I'm feeling a lot of anxiety about the possibility of complications with our journey home. Our layover in New York is only two hours long, which seems like a long time, but you have to go through passport control, get your bag (which we will accidentally on purpose leave there if we're at all behind schedule,) go through customs, then over to immigration to have all of Hazel's paperwork processed. THEN we have to walk a ways to get to the new terminal (or take the air tram. Not sure which terminals we're working with this time) go through the security line in that new terminal, then head toward our gate, which can be another long walk. The whole thing is making about giving me hives as I think about it. I may have another cold sore before we land. LOL.
Like I say...we would so appreciate it if you all would say a prayer for us tonight when you go to bed. We're praying that our flight from Moscow to NYC will be early or at least on-time, and that things move quickly enough when we get there.
Thanks again for your words of encouragement and support. I'm really just amazed at how much the Lord is blessing us right now. Hazel is so much more amazing than I had ever imagined, even after coming to see her twice this year. We seriously can't get enough of her and I know the rest of the family is going to feel the same way. She is the missing piece in our family puzzle. One that could never have found it's proper place without so much love and support from so many people.
I will forever be grateful for this, our 2012 Christmas Miracle.
2 comments:
Post a Comment