After two full days of sitting in our hotel room, Sadie and I decided it was time to venture out in the big city. It's not every day that you find yourself in a city like this, for goodness sake.
I learned that our friend/driver from St. Petersburg, Boris had a good friend here in Moscow who was very kind, spoke great English, and was willing to drive adopting families around the city, acting as a tour guide or translator if needed. It turns out that Vladimir was available in the afternoon.
We had big plans for our time with him: Stop by Red Square to get out and walk around and take pictures, stop to get a bite to eat, then have him take us on the Metro to a big market where we could buy souvenirs for about half the price of what the vendors near Red Square charge.
The three of us bundled up in all our layers, then went down to the lobby to wait for our driver. A few minutes later, we connected with him, then headed out.
As soon as we walked out into the cold, though, Miss Hazel started panicking. I could see in her face that the cold air once again, was truly freaking her out. I knew immediately that some adjustments would have to be made for her today.
The head doctor/director at the baby home had told me that they always made Varvara stay in when they went out because her skin reacted to the cold weather. I wonder, though, if she EVER went out when it was even a little cold. This is obviously a new experience for her.
After driving over a half hour to travel a distance that we would have walked in about 15 minutes, Vladimir found a rare parking space and opened the back door so that we could step out.
Once again, when Hazel felt that cold air come in, she panicked. In fact, for the first time, I saw my baby cry big 'ol alligator tears. It was heartbreaking. Sadie sat next to her and picked her up. She immediately put her head against her chest, as if to say, "Please protect me."
I told Vladimir that pictures and souvenirs were not as important as our daughter's sense of security right now and asked if he would please take us back to the hotel.
On the way back, he gave us a mini-tour of the downtown area, though. He made a wonderful tour guide.
What a magnificent city this is.
As soon as we walked back into the hotel, we could see the relief on Hazel's face. She was all smiles for the rest of the night. She's still such a sleepy girl. She takes 3 hour naps, then starts getting really drowsy after dinner time. She stood right here by the edge of the bed for a few minutes, lying her head down. I was trying to keep her up until closer to 8:00. It's three hours later in Novosibirsk then it is in Moscow. Hazel is feeling the time difference.
Sadie and I, on the other hand, still don't know what time our bodies think it is. We just sleep whenever we feel like it. :)
After only 4 days of having a Mommy, Hazel has decided she kind of likes to snuggle. In the last day, she has started to walk up to me when I'm sitting down and lay her head against my legs. Then she looks up at me as if to say, "I need snuggles." I pick her up and she will often rest her chin in the crook of my neck. It just turns me into a pile of mush. I have a feeling that bonding will not be a challenge with this one. She's ready. And I'm not complaining one bit.
Speaking of snuggles:
Jeremy e-mailed this picture to me from his phone yesterday. He was vacuuming and he looked over to the couch and saw our two seven-year-olds like this. All snuggled up watching a show on the iPad. He wondered if it was because the Elf on the shelf was watching. :) He says Mr. Elf is still moving about the house, even in my absence. Good little Elf.
I learned that our friend/driver from St. Petersburg, Boris had a good friend here in Moscow who was very kind, spoke great English, and was willing to drive adopting families around the city, acting as a tour guide or translator if needed. It turns out that Vladimir was available in the afternoon.
We had big plans for our time with him: Stop by Red Square to get out and walk around and take pictures, stop to get a bite to eat, then have him take us on the Metro to a big market where we could buy souvenirs for about half the price of what the vendors near Red Square charge.
The three of us bundled up in all our layers, then went down to the lobby to wait for our driver. A few minutes later, we connected with him, then headed out.
As soon as we walked out into the cold, though, Miss Hazel started panicking. I could see in her face that the cold air once again, was truly freaking her out. I knew immediately that some adjustments would have to be made for her today.
The head doctor/director at the baby home had told me that they always made Varvara stay in when they went out because her skin reacted to the cold weather. I wonder, though, if she EVER went out when it was even a little cold. This is obviously a new experience for her.
After driving over a half hour to travel a distance that we would have walked in about 15 minutes, Vladimir found a rare parking space and opened the back door so that we could step out.
Once again, when Hazel felt that cold air come in, she panicked. In fact, for the first time, I saw my baby cry big 'ol alligator tears. It was heartbreaking. Sadie sat next to her and picked her up. She immediately put her head against her chest, as if to say, "Please protect me."
I told Vladimir that pictures and souvenirs were not as important as our daughter's sense of security right now and asked if he would please take us back to the hotel.
On the way back, he gave us a mini-tour of the downtown area, though. He made a wonderful tour guide.
What a magnificent city this is.
As soon as we walked back into the hotel, we could see the relief on Hazel's face. She was all smiles for the rest of the night. She's still such a sleepy girl. She takes 3 hour naps, then starts getting really drowsy after dinner time. She stood right here by the edge of the bed for a few minutes, lying her head down. I was trying to keep her up until closer to 8:00. It's three hours later in Novosibirsk then it is in Moscow. Hazel is feeling the time difference.
Sadie and I, on the other hand, still don't know what time our bodies think it is. We just sleep whenever we feel like it. :)
After only 4 days of having a Mommy, Hazel has decided she kind of likes to snuggle. In the last day, she has started to walk up to me when I'm sitting down and lay her head against my legs. Then she looks up at me as if to say, "I need snuggles." I pick her up and she will often rest her chin in the crook of my neck. It just turns me into a pile of mush. I have a feeling that bonding will not be a challenge with this one. She's ready. And I'm not complaining one bit.
Speaking of snuggles:
Jeremy e-mailed this picture to me from his phone yesterday. He was vacuuming and he looked over to the couch and saw our two seven-year-olds like this. All snuggled up watching a show on the iPad. He wondered if it was because the Elf on the shelf was watching. :) He says Mr. Elf is still moving about the house, even in my absence. Good little Elf.

2 comments:
Post a Comment