The long-awaited day finally arrived. It was time to finish this puppy up and go home.
A cab met us at the hotel at 10 am to take us to the Embassy, where we would meet our Moscow facilitator, Svetlana and pick up our visa.
Yep, it’s still dark outside at 10:00. The days are short here.

Our morning at the US Embassy started a little bit scary. When we arrived, the guards at the door couldn’t find us on the list of people who were allowed to come in that day. They told us that the Embassy was actually closed that day. President Obama decided on Friday afternoon (after our appointment was made) to let all the Embassy employees have Christmas Eve off.
My heart started beating very fast when Svetlana translated this to us.
“No, no no!,” I said. “We are getting this visa TODAY!” We had our bags packed and in the car, our boarding passes all ready to go….we were going home!
So they called and got some people to come in and take care of us.
Here’s the part that really reminded me how much the Lord has his hand in all the details:
When we went to the room where the adopting parents go to pick up their children’s visas, a woman came and opened the window and asked Svetana to come to the window, then asked her to repeat her cell phone number to her. She did, and the woman double checked their records. Yes, it was the same.
Apparently, when they received word on Friday that they would be closed Christmas Eve, they tried repeatedly to call Svetlana to tell her we would have to reschedule our appointment for the 26th. She never received those calls. If she had answered and talked to them, we would still be in Russia today.
Thank you so much, Heavenly Father. We know you’re watching out for us.
An employee was called to come in, and after waiting for about 45 minutes, he came in and issued our visa to us.
We made it to the airport in plenty of time.
Hazel happily sat and looked at magazines, watched Baby Einstein and Signing Times DVD’s and played with toys on the plane. She was a DREAM to travel with. She even slept for about 4 of the 10 hours on the first flight, and about 2 of the 4.5 hours on the 2nd one. How did we get so lucky? She’s amazing.

This was so adorable. After she woke up from her long nap, our food was sitting on the trays. All I had left from my dinner was the lettuce and salmon salad that didn’t look a bit appetizing to me. I handed her the bowl and she sat there and ate every little shred of lettuce and piece of fish in the bowl. No dressing or anything. It was so sweet to me for some reason. I had to take a picture.

When we arrived in NYC, we took a deep breath, said one more prayer and headed into the airport, expecting a long wait in lines and a stressful connection. It turns out that immigration was a piece of cake! We went through the first line, gave the guy the envelope from the US Embassy, and waited 5 minutes while he looked over all the documents. He walked us over to a room where he handed someone the stack of papers, and PRESTO…we were done! Hazel was at that moment a citizen of the United States! “That’s IT?” I asked the man. I couldn’t believe it was so quick and easy!
Hazel waited patiently in her stroller while we retrieved our one checked bag, then went through customs, re-checked our baggage, changed terminals, waited in one more line for security, then walked to our gate. It turns out we had plenty of time to spare. We even got to go change her clothes, then get a salad while we waited to board.
Exhale. We did it.

We somehow got the seats with the extra leg-room for this flight. SWEET! Only 4.5 more hours and we’ll be home. We were so very ready. The flight went pretty quickly. Hazel slept half of the time, and Sadie and I each watched a movie.

When we arrived in Salt Lake, even though we were in the 3rd row on the plane, we had to stand at the entrance and wait for our stroller to come up from the storage underneath.
We ended up waiting and waiting for 20 minutes or so, and it never came up. So we left it there. (Along with the iPad in Sadie’s seat pocket. AAAAGH!)
Poor family. They wondered what in the world was taking us so long.
They waited.




Finally, the moment arrived. Hearts started beating fast. They spotted us at the top of the escalator.







Even though it was nearly midnight on Christmas Eve, my sister Michelle came to help take the video for us. Also, our dear neighbor, Luone drove up on the icy roads to take photos. I wish I had a picture of her in the mix. We’re so grateful they could come do this for us so we can always remember this special night.









Jeremy kept saying, “I’m sooooo glad you’re here.” Funny thing is, I know JUST how he felt, as I experienced the same anxiety when he was stuck in Russia on our 2nd trip. There’s just this uneasy feeling that you have when your other half is on the other side of the world and things are unpredictable. You feel so much lighter when you’re together again.












The family was on their way home from the three Christmas Eve parties that we attend every year with the Fillmore’s, Halling’s, and my sisters. Bennett had to show me right away how beautiful Hazel’s stocking was. Jeremy’s Aunt Susan, who had cross-stitched most of our children’s Christmas stockings, had finished Hazel’s stocking this year, as well, even though she left on a mission to California last summer. Wow, it’s perfect.


Even though I was ready to fall over with exhaustion, the important task of getting
everything ready for the morning still had to take place. When we were done with our Santa duties, I sat there and looked at everything and just soaked in the beauty of what it all represents. The tree with the beautiful lights and ornaments represent the beauty of Christmas. The presents remind us of the gift that Christ is to us (although I don’t like how MUCH we feel like we have to give to our kids.) And the whole scene just reminded me how very blessed we are. I can’t even begin to express the gratitude I feel right now. The year has ended more perfectly than we had ever imagined.

The children finally went to bed at 1:00 am and Jeremy crashed at 2:00. We talked them into waiting until 8:00 to open presents. Ah, did that bed ever feel good.
Christmas morning was quiet and lovely. Hazel slept for half of the present-opening time. When she came out, she just sat there and kind of soaked everything in.



The kids are soaking up every little inch of Hazel. Taking all the snuggles she’ll give, holding her, playing with her, watching her…they are so in love! After the first hour or so, Hazel seemed to relax, and she’s been just following everyone around and hanging out ever since.
I love this picture that Jeremy took. It's like Hazel is saying, "I LOVE this place!"

A cab met us at the hotel at 10 am to take us to the Embassy, where we would meet our Moscow facilitator, Svetlana and pick up our visa.
Yep, it’s still dark outside at 10:00. The days are short here.
Our morning at the US Embassy started a little bit scary. When we arrived, the guards at the door couldn’t find us on the list of people who were allowed to come in that day. They told us that the Embassy was actually closed that day. President Obama decided on Friday afternoon (after our appointment was made) to let all the Embassy employees have Christmas Eve off.
My heart started beating very fast when Svetlana translated this to us.
“No, no no!,” I said. “We are getting this visa TODAY!” We had our bags packed and in the car, our boarding passes all ready to go….we were going home!
So they called and got some people to come in and take care of us.
Here’s the part that really reminded me how much the Lord has his hand in all the details:
When we went to the room where the adopting parents go to pick up their children’s visas, a woman came and opened the window and asked Svetana to come to the window, then asked her to repeat her cell phone number to her. She did, and the woman double checked their records. Yes, it was the same.
Apparently, when they received word on Friday that they would be closed Christmas Eve, they tried repeatedly to call Svetlana to tell her we would have to reschedule our appointment for the 26th. She never received those calls. If she had answered and talked to them, we would still be in Russia today.
Thank you so much, Heavenly Father. We know you’re watching out for us.
An employee was called to come in, and after waiting for about 45 minutes, he came in and issued our visa to us.
We made it to the airport in plenty of time.
Hazel happily sat and looked at magazines, watched Baby Einstein and Signing Times DVD’s and played with toys on the plane. She was a DREAM to travel with. She even slept for about 4 of the 10 hours on the first flight, and about 2 of the 4.5 hours on the 2nd one. How did we get so lucky? She’s amazing.
This was so adorable. After she woke up from her long nap, our food was sitting on the trays. All I had left from my dinner was the lettuce and salmon salad that didn’t look a bit appetizing to me. I handed her the bowl and she sat there and ate every little shred of lettuce and piece of fish in the bowl. No dressing or anything. It was so sweet to me for some reason. I had to take a picture.
When we arrived in NYC, we took a deep breath, said one more prayer and headed into the airport, expecting a long wait in lines and a stressful connection. It turns out that immigration was a piece of cake! We went through the first line, gave the guy the envelope from the US Embassy, and waited 5 minutes while he looked over all the documents. He walked us over to a room where he handed someone the stack of papers, and PRESTO…we were done! Hazel was at that moment a citizen of the United States! “That’s IT?” I asked the man. I couldn’t believe it was so quick and easy!
Hazel waited patiently in her stroller while we retrieved our one checked bag, then went through customs, re-checked our baggage, changed terminals, waited in one more line for security, then walked to our gate. It turns out we had plenty of time to spare. We even got to go change her clothes, then get a salad while we waited to board.
Exhale. We did it.
We somehow got the seats with the extra leg-room for this flight. SWEET! Only 4.5 more hours and we’ll be home. We were so very ready. The flight went pretty quickly. Hazel slept half of the time, and Sadie and I each watched a movie.
When we arrived in Salt Lake, even though we were in the 3rd row on the plane, we had to stand at the entrance and wait for our stroller to come up from the storage underneath.
We ended up waiting and waiting for 20 minutes or so, and it never came up. So we left it there. (Along with the iPad in Sadie’s seat pocket. AAAAGH!)
Poor family. They wondered what in the world was taking us so long.
They waited.
And waited.
The pilots even came out before us. 
They waited some more.
Finally, the moment arrived. Hearts started beating fast. They spotted us at the top of the escalator.
“It’s them, it’s them!”
“Who are all these people?” Says Hazel.
“Oh, yeah. I remember this guy”
Even though it was nearly midnight on Christmas Eve, my sister Michelle came to help take the video for us. Also, our dear neighbor, Luone drove up on the icy roads to take photos. I wish I had a picture of her in the mix. We’re so grateful they could come do this for us so we can always remember this special night.
Jeremy kept saying, “I’m sooooo glad you’re here.” Funny thing is, I know JUST how he felt, as I experienced the same anxiety when he was stuck in Russia on our 2nd trip. There’s just this uneasy feeling that you have when your other half is on the other side of the world and things are unpredictable. You feel so much lighter when you’re together again.
Anya could not WAIT to hug Sadie. She missed her terribly!
She kept saying, “Mom, wook! It’s Sadie!”
“I know we’ve been together in a hotel room for the past 5 days, but I still can’t get enough of you.”
Smile!
Finally! Our family is complete.
Time to go home!
The family was on their way home from the three Christmas Eve parties that we attend every year with the Fillmore’s, Halling’s, and my sisters. Bennett had to show me right away how beautiful Hazel’s stocking was. Jeremy’s Aunt Susan, who had cross-stitched most of our children’s Christmas stockings, had finished Hazel’s stocking this year, as well, even though she left on a mission to California last summer. Wow, it’s perfect.
And our Christmas mantle is now complete.
Even though I was ready to fall over with exhaustion, the important task of getting
everything ready for the morning still had to take place. When we were done with our Santa duties, I sat there and looked at everything and just soaked in the beauty of what it all represents. The tree with the beautiful lights and ornaments represent the beauty of Christmas. The presents remind us of the gift that Christ is to us (although I don’t like how MUCH we feel like we have to give to our kids.) And the whole scene just reminded me how very blessed we are. I can’t even begin to express the gratitude I feel right now. The year has ended more perfectly than we had ever imagined.
The children finally went to bed at 1:00 am and Jeremy crashed at 2:00. We talked them into waiting until 8:00 to open presents. Ah, did that bed ever feel good.
Christmas morning was quiet and lovely. Hazel slept for half of the present-opening time. When she came out, she just sat there and kind of soaked everything in.
The kids are soaking up every little inch of Hazel. Taking all the snuggles she’ll give, holding her, playing with her, watching her…they are so in love! After the first hour or so, Hazel seemed to relax, and she’s been just following everyone around and hanging out ever since.
I love this picture that Jeremy took. It's like Hazel is saying, "I LOVE this place!"
Of course, my Mama heart especially enjoys watching her 16 year old boy’s heart melt into a pile of mush today. I even catch him in the act of smooching her. 
This is one girl he is welcome to smooch.
Well, that was a long post!
Jeremy and I had no idea this little girl was so amazing when we visited her in May and November. She is a completely different girl now that she’s out of the orphanage. If it weren’t for our previous experience with Anya, we would have been scared to death, worrying about how hard she was going to be.
She’s had 6 days of love in her life. One with her whole family. Every day I see more and more of her incredible spirit emerging. The word “blossom” may sound cliché’ but it’s really the best word that I can think of. She’s just blossoming before our eyes.
There are so many more precious gems out there in the world who just need to be given a chance. Oh, how my heart hurts that most of them will never have this opportunity. I want people who feel a little tug in their heartstrings about adoption to know that it’s really not all that scary. People tell us all the time that we’re so brave. You guys, we’re not brave! We felt called and we went for it, but don’t you do that when there’s something you led to do? It’s stressful and hard to go through, but there is nothing in the world that compares to witnessing what we are witnessing right now. Nothing! I feel the same kind of joy right now that I have felt whenever any of my children have accomplished something that was hard. My heart wants to leap right out of my chest. What an honor this is. Truly.
If you’re still with me after that long post…MERRY CHRISTMAS and have a wonderful New Year! We love you!

1 comment:
Loved this post to tears. She is absolutely amazing and I am so glad that you got her in time! My heart breaks for all those children in the middle of getting adopted that now might not get the chance. Love you guys and congratulations! Merry Christmas
Post a Comment