Sunday, March 9, 2008

My 120+ Reasons to Go to Church

So, I've now officially made it past the one year mark as Primary President. They say the first year is where you get all the kinks worked out, and the 2nd year is pure enjoyment because you know what you're doing. When I think about how much I've learned in the past year, I totally believe it. (Not that I know what I'm doing, but we are in a nice groove!)

Take today for example. I woke up feeling kind of crummy, with a sick stomach and headache, but I knew that staying home was out of the question because 1) I was in charge of Sharing Time, 2) it was ward conference today, which meant that a stake leader would be spending the afternoon with us and 3) one of my counselors called to tell me she would have to stay home because she was sick. So it was do, or die!

Sister L, the stake primary counselor who was assigned to observe our primary today, was there when I walked in after Sacrament Meeting. She asked how I was. I said, besides having a headache, I'm great! She immediately pulled out her little bottle of Advil, which she says she never leaves home without. It's getting better already! Then my 2nd counselor, E. goes to the front to conduct Junior Primary. She's one of those people who portrays sunshine and energy always and makes you feel great. She got the positive vibes going right off the bat. By the time I got up to do sharing time, I was a happy camper. The headache wasn't totally gone, but it was pounding less!

Later, during Senior Primary, Sister L leaned over to me and commented on how much respect these kids had for their leaders. She noticed one of the kids moving off one of the big chairs to make room for his teacher without being asked. I'm usually so wrapped up in details that I don't notice these things. She told the kids that our primary was the last one she had visited in ward conferences, and we were by far the most reverent of them all. Of course, they all beamed with pride (as did all of the leaders.) It's true, they really are extraordinary kids. Once in a while I'll ask a question that I think is a little advanced for them, and someone without fail will know the answer. They are taught in their homes, no doubt about it.

Anyway, I just had to brag a little today about my 120+ (I'm not sure what we're up to now) reasons to go to church, even when I'm feeling crummy. It's amazing how serving people makes you love them. I just love them all so much! They are truly elect spirits. And they are teaching me more than I ever thought was possible.

Here's a picture I took last summer in Senior Primary when they were dancing away, singing "Feliz Cumpleanos" to L.and his friend, J. for thier shared birthday.

1 comment:

Julie H. said...

Heather, I loved your story. It's so hard getting to church most Sundays, but I know for a fact there's a huge attitude change in my kids afterwards. And that makes all the effort worth it. It's like going to the gym, you never regret it once it's over and done with.