Thursday, March 1, 2012

Potty Time Review

This DVD is AMAZING! It's produced by Two Little Hands, the makers of Signing Time. Enough said, right?



The animation is colorful and the tunes are catchy and fun! My two year old loves it. He's not quite ready for the toilet, but this DVD is getting him there. I wish this was out 15 years ago so that I had it to use for all of my children.  

As I was watching the DVD, I kept thinking, “How did I not think to say it that way?” The way they explain everything is simple. Rachel tells the little viewer that he's growing and part of that of growing, is of course, learning to use the potty. It’s natural!

She even addresses accidents in a positive, natural way. She explains that accidents happen. Oops!  Next time, you need to pay attention to your body more, and you'll do fine.

In addition to teaching children about listening to their bodies, Rachel teaches about stopping what they are doing to go to the bathroom, celebrating their successes, dealing with accidents in a positive way, and appreciating their amazing bodies.

Of course, this video has the added bonus of using American Sign Language in connection with the lessons taught. The multisensory approach helps children with all sorts of learning differences. If you have a child who isn't communicating verbally, what better way to teach them about going potty, than through signs, like "potty," "wipe," "flush" and "wash."  (Oh no, now I've got the song stuck in my head. hee hee.) She also teaches signs that go along with the lessons, like "grow,"  "Stop!" (As in stop what you're doing and run to the potty!) and "amazing" (as in my body is amazing!)

My Anya who is six and has DS, is fully potty trained, but the animation and the songs are so catchy that she loves watching “Potty Time” with her little brother. Since she's a visual learner, this DVD has helped reinforce the importance of the things that go along with pottying. Like flushing, wiping and washing her hands (three things she doesn't usually do without my supervision.) I love that I can quickly show her one of the signs and she goes, "oh yeah!"

I cannot recommend this DVD enough to anyone with a small child! It's got to be the best potty training DVD out there!

1 comment:

Rebecca Black said...