Sunday, May 1, 2011

The Play

During the time we were in Russia in February and March (and in between the two trips,) our nine-year-old, Max worked long hours to perfect his performance in The King and I, put on by his school.  Our childrens' charter school has students from Kindergarten to 9th grade.
The lead actors were 9th graders, and of course, all the King's children were elementary students.

Max had been attending rehearsals for several months. He absolutely ate up the whole experience. Never once did he complain about having to stay after school for rehearsals.  He enjoyed every last minute of it.

When I found out the dates that I would be in Russia getting Anya, I was just sick about missing the play.  Every time I thought about it, I would tear up. A mom just doesn't miss out on things like this.  But thankfully, by the grace of God, we finished the adoption process 3 days sooner than our agency had estimated, and we were able to be here on opening night. 
I can't tell you what this meant to me.  I mean, look at this kid just singing his little heart out.
Can you imagine if I had missed this?

The producer, Erin Smith did an absolutely incredible job. This was not your ordinary school play. It was top-notch.  From the costumes to the lighting to the talent of the actors, to the focus and expression on the children's faces.

The parents of the actors spent hours upon hours helping with everything that a production like this requires. I was absolutely NO help. The final weeks were right during and in between our last two trips to Russia. I hope next year, Max will do it again so I can help more!


Here's a review in a local newspaper, The Timp Times:



All the little boys dyed their hair black when they learned that the spray stuff was way too messy.  It was interesting seeing Max with dark hair for the past month.
Every time I glanced at him, I would think, "Who's that?" Oh yeah, it's Max!


I had to pull the camera out one day when I saw Max and his buddy, Luke, (also in the play) with their dark little heads poking out over our living room chairs, pulled up close so they could watch the old "The King and I" movie that we had rented.  How often do you see a couple of nine year old boys glued to an old musical?  Love it.

Way to go, Lincoln Academy. What a production! 
 Thank you to everyone who spent hours and hours producing this play.  It was incredible!
Also, a special thanks goes to Amy Knight who took over my role of making sure Max was in hair and makeup for the dress rehearsals and getting him there, and for having him at their house that weekend. 
It would have been really hard for my parents to do all this!  Thank you, thank you!  


And thank you so much to all four grandparents and my sisters and their kids who came to support Max, and take pictures. It really meant the world to all of us.  


Three weeks later, we shaved off the dark hair. We couldn't resist stopping with a mohawk for a few minutes. What do you think? It's so Max, isn't it?

4 comments:

Becca B said...

I so wish I could have seen this! My husband works at a charter school. I wish it was Lincoln Academy now so that my kids could go there. Wonderful. Thank you for sharing this.

Gaining Grace said...

Yes Heather, theater is addictive. My daughter has been doing plays since she was 5. I think it gives them a help when they have to do things in the public eye. Welcome to the parent's crowd. And don't worry about not being there for that one. There will undoubtedly be more. :)

Gretchen said...

WOW! He did awesome! Plays are hard work and so for him to keep focused on this was great! I know you are a proud mama and papa!

Lisa said...

Yeah for Max. Looks like he did such a good job! It's funny to see him with black hair. And the mohawk! Hilarious.