Anya has been home with us for 5 weeks now, and little by little, day by day, we're getting to know her.
Ahem...(Start track now...)
Getting to know you. Getting to know all about you.
Getting like you, getting to hope you'll like us.
Getting to know you, putting it our way, but nicely
You are precisely our cup of tea.
Getting to know you, getting to feel free and easy
When we are with you, getting to know what to say
Haven't you noticed suddenly we're bright and breezy?
Because of all the beautiful and new
things we're learning about you
Day
by
day!
To paint a picture, I want you to imagine two people who fall in love after meeting on the Internet. (Bear with me here...)
First, they fall in love with a picture and feel like it may be fate. When they meet, they feel the sparks flying they and decide they really like each other.
They have to spend months apart and miss each other terribly. The wait is torture.
Finally, they get to be together again and they get married! It's beautiful and miraculous and everything they always dreamed of.
After their wonderful honeymoon, reality sets in and it starts getting a little hard. They have to go through some things while they discover what really makes each other tick. They realize how human they are, and that the relationship takes work. So they dig in their heels and start working at it.
They have to spend months apart and miss each other terribly. The wait is torture.
Finally, they get to be together again and they get married! It's beautiful and miraculous and everything they always dreamed of.
After their wonderful honeymoon, reality sets in and it starts getting a little hard. They have to go through some things while they discover what really makes each other tick. They realize how human they are, and that the relationship takes work. So they dig in their heels and start working at it.
Before long, they learn to love each other for the flaws as well as the good stuff.
Then, something magical happens. Without even noticing, they feel like they are a part of one another. Like they've always been together.
Even though the hard times still happen, they're comfortable and content together and they can't imagine life any other way.
That's what it's kind of like when you adopt, especially when the child is older. Of course, the "hard" period is longer for some than it is for others, depending on the circumstances, and like it is raising any child, the ups and downs continue your whole life. But that's it in a nutshell.
Even though the hard times still happen, they're comfortable and content together and they can't imagine life any other way.
That's what it's kind of like when you adopt, especially when the child is older. Of course, the "hard" period is longer for some than it is for others, depending on the circumstances, and like it is raising any child, the ups and downs continue your whole life. But that's it in a nutshell.
When I compare today with a month ago, I feel like we know Anya so well!
At the same time, we've only spent six weeks out of her nearly six years of her life with her. There's still so much to learn! It's so gratifying figuring out what makes her tick, discovering what works best and noticing how much easier things become in the process. We're noticing that the annoyances are turning into things we hardly notice.
And we're learning to love her as our own.
I think she could probably say the same about us.
To help YOU get to know Anya, I thought I'd share some of the things we're learning about her:
- She loves food. The only thing she doesn't clean off her plate is raw vegetables. She eats nearly everything I make. She is usually the last one at the table, patiently eating every last bite of food on her plate. When she's done, she points to whatever she wants more of, hoping for seconds.
- Like most toddlers, (and most people who have that extra somethin') she does NOT like to change activities, especially when she's doing something fun! We usually have to carry her to the new place while she kicks and cries. Then, as soon as we're there, she's happy again. It's just the transition that makes her mad!! For the first few weeks, this nearly drove me crazy. Now, I just sing a little song while I carry her, and before we know it, we're done with the transition and life is chipper again. :)
- Her favorite DVDs to watch are the Disney ones. Forget the Signing Times and Baby Einstein. She wants the real stories, and she'll sit through the entire thing if there's nothing better to do.
- She is one smart cookie! She only has to see a sign once, and she remembers it! We need to learn some more signs! She's also starting to say a few words. I think she's going to learn at lightning speed in school. She's very perceptive and her brain is like a sponge.
- She LOVES organized activities of any kind and thrives in groups of children. I brought her along on Bennett's preschool field trip to a nursery the other day. She did everything the other children did and followed directions, even though she couldn't understand much of what the worker was saying!
- Like all kids, she gets cranky when she's tired. She complains like crazy when we get jammies on at night. But we've figured out that if we lie down and read a book with her and Eli at bedtime and if they both go to bed at the same time, she'll go right to sleep. It took us 3 weeks to figure this out! (They may be sharing a room for a while. :)
- She loves playing outside and has some pretty impressive gross motor skills for a child with DS who has not had early intervention. I didn't expect her to be able to climb across horizontal ladders or slide down steep slides by herself at playgrounds. She's brave and she loves adventure!
- She gets so excited whenever her big brothers and sister come home from school, and when Daddy comes home from work. She makes her signature "surprised" face and gasps, then runs up for a hug.
- When she gets hurt, or if something hurts, she says, "boobah" and points to what hurts. A kiss will usually fix it right away.
I hope to get some video of her progress with English soon. She is doing so great! Stay tuned for updates on everything she's learning and doing. I think you'll be amazed.











10 comments:
Thank you for updates!
I just love this post!!! You do such a great job with your pictures and your stories. It sounds like your little princess is fitting right in! ;-)
Wow, she finally has glasses fitting her well ; )
She looks so happy! And about that "hard" part and that word "reality"...what are you talking about? You mean it's not going to be a piece of cake? A walk in the park? Oh bummer..
J/K of course.
Thanks for the update!
I loved this post so cute and very true. She looks so happy hanging with her brother and sisters!
Tina
The pictures are awesome. The ones that cracked me up were them all in bed the same way relaxing and the dirty bottom.
Experiencing things new for the first time must be great for her and you to be able to watch her experience is icing on the cake!
What a beautiful life she is living ~ thank you a million times over for saving her.
LOVED LOVED LOVED this....as usual I get so excited to see that you have updates on Anya! Can't wait to see the video of her english! Thanks for always being positive yet honest,,,,it has helped me all along!
I've just barely started following your blog right around the time you brought Anya home and am not always able to read every post but I read today's and I have just fallen in love with your sweet little girl. I am loving reading your story.
Wow. The photos with the lyrics as captions made me cry. So touching! I'll keep that in mind while hosting this summer!
In all a very precious post. I'm so happy that you and Anya have found each other, and it's amazing what things she can do and how fast she learns!
Post a Comment