Sunday, April 10, 2011

Strep and Sunday Thoughts

I was so miserable this weekend! Not only did it snow for three days, but I got a nasty case of Strep Throat! Yuck. The last time I had Strep was when I was 19!  I forgot how horrible it is.  Anyway, I was  releived Friday afternoon when Landon came home from school and took over with caring for Anya and Eli until Jeremy could come home.  I had the chills and couldn’t leave my bed! I went in to the Urgent Care place yesterday morning and the Dr. confirmed that it was Strep and wrote a prescription for Amoxicillin. I’m feeling much better now. Yea for antibiotics when you need them!

At any rate, I had decided to stay home from church today, but I was craving some spiritual nourishment. So I threw on my skirt at the last minute while Sadie dolled Anya all up. Then we all ran out the door for Sacrament Meeting. It was a beautiful meeting and I'm so glad I went.  But I started feeling dizzy and had to leave early. I also felt like I needed to get Anya right home since she’s got a little cold and I didn’t want to overwhelm her with too much just yet.

So, we came home, and after a little rest, I decided to get online and read one of the talks from our church’s Semi-Annual General Conference which was held last weekend. The one I read was by President Dieter F. Uchtdorf, who is in the First Presidency.  I watched it on TV last Sunday, but there was way too much going on in our house to get a whole lot out of it! I’m glad we can go back and read the talks later.

Wow, what an amazing talk. He titled it Waiting on the Road to Damascus.

He started off by talking about Saul, the man in the Bible who “made havoc with the church.” One day, he was traveling on the road to Damascus, actually pursuing people who were trying to escape his anger when he suddenly saw a light around him and heard a voice saying, “Saul, Saul, why persecutest thou me?”

That moment changed his life forever and he immediately repented and eventually became an incredible missionary and apostle to the Savior.

President Uchtdorf based his talk on the fact that many of us would rather wait for some dramatic event like this to happen before we start moving on the road to discipleship, instead of taking small steps. 

Sometimes I’m further on this path than I am at other times. Often, I find myself in a spiritual rut, and I sort of “wait” for something to get me out of it. I think it happens to all of us at times.

Here are some of my favorite thoughts from this talk:

There are many who, for different reasons, find themselves waiting on the road to Damascus. They delay becoming fully engaged as disciples... They remain waiting for the Christ to be given to them like a magnificent Carl Bloch painting—to remove once and for all their doubts and fears.


The truth is, those who diligently seek to learn of Christ eventually will come to know Him. They will personally receive a divine portrait of the Master, although it most often comes in the form of a puzzle—one piece at a time. Each individual piece may not be easily recognizable by itself; it may not be clear how it relates to the whole. Each piece helps us to see the big picture a little more clearly. Eventually, after enough pieces have been put together, we recognize the grand beauty of it all. Then, looking back on our experience, we see that the Savior had indeed come to be with us—not all at once but quietly, gently, almost unnoticed.

Do you ever wonder what in the world God is trying to teach you when you're going through something hard, then you figure out it later?  I do.  I wonder how much of that divine portrait I can see right now, compared to what I will some day see.

Also, I loved what he said about receiving answers to prayer:

Often, the answer to our prayer does not come while we’re on our knees but while we’re on our feet serving the Lord and serving those around us. Selfless acts of service and consecration refine our spirits, remove the scales from our spiritual eyes, and open the windows of heaven. By becoming the answer to someone’s prayer, we often find the answer to our own.

I just loved this talk. It was exactly what I needed today. 

Oh, and so was this:

5 comments:

Gretchen said...

Heather, BUMMER and BOO to the strep! but YES and YIPPIE for the healing power of the word of God! I am feeling so sheepish for not making contact sooner, but as you WELL know, this traveling thousands of miles kind of takes it out for you! Thank you SO much for all of your kind words and prayers for us as we followed in your footsteps! I though of Anya and you guys often while we were there, while also checking in on how she is doing at home. Thank you for posting our blog on your FB! We are kind of still reeling over the medical realities with Ian but like I always tell other people, we did not ask for Easy, we asked to be given a chance to do the work that we are instructed by faith (not fear) to do. Love that little lady of yours and again, we treasure your friendship!

Katrina said...

Wow, you are a trooper for making it to church with Strep. I loved that talk too and also the one on receiving revelation. How sometimes it is like a light switch that has been turned on and other times it is more like the sun rising in the morning and more gradual where we almost don't notice the change. Hope you are feeling better soon.

Anonymous said...

Great blog. I really enjoyed conference, too.
Hope you are feeling better soon. ;)

Lisa said...

I'm sure it's always good to go through the talks when you have a few minutes for yourself so you can get as much as possible out of it. It might help to remind you of certain aspects whenever your everyday life seems to be overwhelming and helps to be able to pause for a moment to continue the day with more strength- spiritual but also simple physical strength. Hope you'll continue to feel better throughout the next week! With such a bunch of kids it's never easy to be sick, I know it from my mom and we are only 3 (and I don't even really count anymore). But it sounds like Landon and Sadie are being nice kids helping their mom. =)
Is this president German? His name sounds so much like it but this might also only be coincidence because I didn't know there was a German in the First Presidency- but then there is this small fact that I don't know everything after all which does make it still possible. =)
Have a great week and greeting to everyone in your family!

Anonymous said...

Great entry..just loved it. Hope you are feeling better soon!

Tina