I want to give big SHOUT OUT to the Lincoln Academy Jr. High Basketball team! They took second place in their charter school region this year. Woo hoo!! Way to go Landon and the rest of the team!! (His face is hidden in this picture. I didn't get any good shots, darn.) Last year, they didn't win a single game. So this was exciting! Jeremy volunteered as their coach. He left work early every Monday and Wednesday afternoon to practice with the boys. He has never coached a basketball team, so this was a little bit of a stretch. But he did his homework and learned through trial and error what boys this age need to practice the most. He even talked to Mark Eaton, an ex-NBA player one night at a Corporate Alliance event. Mark told him that, at this age it's all about getting them to handle the ball well, shoot well, and work as a team. Not about detailed plays. So that's what they focused on most, and it payed off! He also taught them about continually improving and learning from mistakes. Whenever they had a huddle, they would yell, "Kaizen!" at the end. This means "constant improvement" in Chinese?? I think. It was a really neat thing for Landon to have his dad so involved in his life for the past few months. Something he will always remember, I'm sure.
Last night was a killer. They played the Channing Academy Wolves from Draper for the championship. Our team was behind about six points for most of the game. Then right at the end, we scored a couple of great shots which made it a one-point ballgame. Talk about a nail-biter! Even Sadie was on the edge of her seat, cheering as loudly as she could. Unfortunately, the Wolves had the ball right there at the end and made their shot.
Championship games are SOOO hard to lose. I wanted to take away the greif that Landon felt so bad! Those boys played their guts out and did an incredible job. Then in a minute's time, it was all over, and the other team was celebrating, holding up the trophey.
I think they got a little taste of what almost was, and next year it'll be theirs! It was so fun watching them put everything they had been working on all season, to work. They were awesome! Luckily all of our players still have at least another year of Jr. High left, so next year, their team will be more skilled, and TALLER! Can't wait!
1 comment:
I bet Jeremy was a great coach. He has a way of putting his heart into things that really makes the difference. Way to go Landon!
Post a Comment