Monday, February 16, 2009

Valentines Day Surprise


Ten more weeks before baby joins us. You know what that means. We need to get in our "alone" time before it's too late! Jeremy planned a wonderful Valentine's weekend getaway for the two of us. It was only 24 hours long, but just what we needed. He did some research on the internet and found a place to stay, dine, and be entertained all within one Salt Lake City block! The only thing I knew before we left was the city we were going to. And that Sadie and Landon were going to the Larsen cousins' house and Max and Bennett were going to the Thompsons next door (I worked out that part.)

We stayed at the Peery Hotel (lobby pictured above.) It was built around 1915, I believe. It was charming and different than any place we've stayed. The room was teensy tiny, but the bed was SOOOO comfy! I think any hotel is great as long as it's clean, it has nice linens and a comfortable bed. So it passed my test. We loved all the original architecture and beautiful furnishings in the lobby.

Dinner was just down the block at PF Changs--my favorite!
The entertainment was at a theatre in town, again, just a half-block away. It was a Peter Brienholt concert that night. We had never listened to his music before and we're now fans! Kind of a James Taylor style. He did a mixture of romantic tunes as well as some 80's and some of his originals. Here's the Performing Arts Center where the concert was held.



Breakfast the next morning was at the Hotel Monoco, which was a couple blocks away. It was SOOOO yummy. We shared a delicious spinach and feta cheese omelet and some blueberry pancakes. Yum. It was snowing hard on our way back, but that just made it a little more romantic.
Ahhh...do we have to leave? This is too nice. No kids needing us, no phones ringing, and this bed is so comfy. Even for a pregnant person.We sat in the lobby for a while and relaxed by the fire just before leaving. It was a great time to write valentines for the kids and brace ourselves for reality once again.That night, we watched the Thompson's kids while they had their Valentines date. Payback time! We enjoyed this lovely heart-shaped pizza from Papa Murpheys and some games and movies. Landon stayed at the Larsens for the long weekend and we brought Tess back to our house with us. She's a year and a half older than Sadie, so Sadie thinks she's very cool. Tess is a talented makeup artist, as you can see. I think they changed makeup looks 4 or 5 times. It about killed Dad to see his little girl in makeup all weekend. We're not ready for this yet! At least two more years, please!

Oh, and speaking of Valentine's Day, look at Sadie's box she made for her class Valentines. CUTE! I was shocked that it didn't win the big prize. But like the Lincoln cakes in the last post, we were won out by some over achieving parents. Oh well. :)

2 comments:

Heather said...

What a "romantical" weekend!! (my 6 yr. old niece coined the term...my new fav phrase!) I'm so glad you guys got away, you're right, once baby comes, it's ALL ABOUT HIM!!

Lisa said...

I love the hotel, it looks really cute! And I BET you had a nice time!
We actually don´t celebrate Valentine´s Day that much, but it sure is a fun holiday!
And... only 10 more weeks! I´m getting so excited! :-) Do you have a name now (I know, annoying question...)?
Oh well, all the best to everyone!
I love you guys!