We now have a child with a DRIVER’s LICENSE! Holy moly, it’s really true. We are THAT old!
Landon got up at the crack of dawn on his 16th birthday and drove to the DMV. He’s been driving with one of us in the passenger seat for the past year and he was READY!
We asked him if we could throw a party for his big 16, but he wasn’t interested. All he wanted was to be 16.
We did manage to talk him into a little birthday cake with the family. You may want to plug your ears for the song at the beginning. We’re a little off-key. Just a little. Hee hee.
What a birthday this is. He gets to drive, date and even get a job! It's has been exciting going through this big rite of passage with our eldest. We even went to the bank that day and opened a checking account so that he would have a place to put his money when he gets a job.
I’m loving this as much as he is. Do you know how nice it is to have another driver in the house when Jeremy is gone? This is huge!
I asked him if he would take Anya over to the school for her extended school year time and he jumped right on it! This was his first time ever that he got to drive a sibling somewhere. (I wonder how long this enthusiasm will last. Hopefully at least until Sadie turns 16 in 2.5 years. Ha ha!)
Landon was anxious to get his own set of wheels. He worked on a landscaping job for a few weeks in June and earned $1000. As soon as he turned 16, he started the hunt on KSL.com. After a day or two, he found this 1998 Honda Civic. It has 152,000 miles on it, which isn’t too bad for how old it is. Jeremy loaned him the rest of the $1800 that he needed to make the big purchase.
Landon had to learn how to drive a manual transmission car, but he caught on pretty well. (I don’t know if I even remember how to drive one even though that’s what I learned on. It’s been years!)
I must admit, it’s unnerving sending my boy off into the unpredictable world of moving vehicles. Every time he goes somewhere, I say a little prayer for his safety. I’m kind of a worrier that way… but I keep reminding myself that we all have to start out as beginners at some point in time.
No comments:
Post a Comment