Sunday, February 26, 2012

The Kindy 500

Anya and Bennett's Kindergarten teacher does this huge event with her combined classes called the “Kindy 500.” Each child is required to bring their own “mode of transportation” made out of cardboard boxes. At the event, the kids parade around the hallways to show the rest of the school, then they end up in the gym, which is decorated with a track and stations, or “stops” along the highway.  They learn about the Whitehouse, the Lincoln Memorial, Mount Rushmore, The Statue of Liberty, and more! At each place, they receive a “bumper sticker” to add to their car.


We spent two hours on Anya’s car.  I didn’t get a good profile shot of it, but it’s a 1950’s Cadillac with a fin on the back. Doesn't she look so cute in it?



We made an Army tank for Bennett. Thanks to the good 'ol internet, we had some great pictures to use as  inspiration for our creations. We were up late the night before!


kindy 6
I can’t imagine how much time some of these other parents spent. Check out these amazing creations!

This one is a “Thing-a-ma-jig” and the driver was the Cat in the Hat.

 

kindy 7

I loved the bride and the frog in the Lamborghini.

 

Kindy 11

 
I volunteered to be a chaperone and they put with Anya’s group.

Her aide, Pam and I were amazed at how patient she was for each 8-minute lecture.  

It added up to over an hour and she did great! (This ice cream pit stop was the first one.)

 

kindy 3

 

kindy 3b
It’s so funny how much smaller Anya is than her classmates.

They all look like they’re 2-3 years older!

 

Kindy 8

A collage

B group layout
Every time I saw Bennett in his tank, it cracked me up.
He reminded me of a little gopher sticking out of it’s hole.

 

kindy 4

 

2 verticle kindy
I love this picture of Anya and her Aide, Pam in front of the ice cream truck.
Aren’t they so cute together?

 

kindy A and Pam
At the end, they all put their hand on their hearts, faced the flag, and listened to a recording of Whitney Houston singing the National Anthem.

It was really moving.  We are so blessed to live here in the USA.

 

kindy 15

No comments: