Sunday, October 2, 2011

The Down Syndrome Creed

October is Down Syndrome Awareness Month! I'm gonna do my best to blog a few times a week on Our Journey to Anya with little things about Down Syndrome that I think everyone should know. This is the only one I've copied to this blog.

To start off, I'd like to share this poem that is popular among the Down Syndrome community. It was written by a special ed teaching assistant named Emma Jane Rae.


The Down Syndrome Creed

My face may be different
But my feelings the same

I laugh...


and I cry


And I take pride in my gains


I was sent here among you
To teach you to love


As God in the heavens
Looks down from above


To Him I'm no different
His love knows no bounds.



It's those here among you
In cities and towns


That judge me by standards
That man has imparted

But this family I've chosen
Will help me get started


For I'm one of the children
So special and few


That came here to learn
The same lessons as you.


That love is acceptance.


It must come from the heart.


We all have the same purpose
Though not the same start.


The Lord gave me life
To live and embrace



And I'll do it as you do


But at my own pace.


10 comments:

rachellee said...

Awesome! Those pictures are beautiful. The rainbow pictures, especially! Love them all!

Rachelle (adopting Gideon/Eddie in 54)
http://addtothebeauty-evensen.blogspot.com

Milena said...

Such a beautiful poem - and the pictures are gorgeous too!

Kristin said...

Love the pictures with this!

Cynthia said...

Beautiful! I am so appreciative for your example and your love. I know that this post will touch all who read it, and hopefully will motivate more to reach out to the children who wait...
Cynthia
http://www.adreamadoption.blogspot.com

Becca B said...

Beautiful. I've read this poem before, but this time (interspersed with your pictures) it brought tears to my eyes. Thanks, Heather.

Anonymous said...

very cute :)
-sini

AdriKrehbiel said...

What a beautiful poem to together with the pictures it brings it to life! This is a very touching post!!! Love it!!!

teresa said...

BEAUTIFUL! love the poem and the wonderful pictures of anya and her forever family. thanks for sharing.

Lisa said...

Love this post!

Jessica Olsen-Howes said...

Heather, this is one of the most beautiful, touching poems I have ever read! What a true inspiration you and your wonderful family truly are.