Wednesday, October 19, 2011

African Masks

I get to be the "Art Docent" in Max's fourth grade class this year. I was totally missing in action at the school last year with all the adoption stress, and I forgot how much I love spending time there!

I also love art. It was my favorite subject when I was in elementary school, and let me tell you, I feel like a rock star when I walk into Max's classroom... so I'm guessing it's probably most kids' favorite. :)

This month, their class is studying Africa in social studies, so I thought it would be fun to make African masks.  They loved it!  We gave each student a half piece of poster board, some tempura paint, crayons and some embelleshments and told them to have at it.


 I was totally amazed at their talent and creativity!


Aren't they awesome?  (Max is the one on the far left, 2nd row.) After they were done, the T.A. taught them some African dance moves and they all danced their little hearts out with their masks on. I'm hoping their teacher caught some of it with video because I had to leave before that part.

Love it!

Next month the theme in Social Studies is the Middle ages. Any ideas?

3 comments:

Jessica Lynn said...

For the Middle Ages you can do illuminated manuscripts!

Katie said...

Or you could teach them a little about heraldry and have them each make their own shield!

Lisa said...

A field trip to Germany would be a great idea in my opinion!

http://www.schwaebischealb.de/var/plain/storage/images/media/pressebilder/hohenzollern/burg_hohenzollern_vh6b0145_c_achim_mende/112257-3-ger-DE/burg_hohenzollern_vh6b0145_c_achim_mende.jpg