Wednesday, October 5, 2011

31 for 21: People First Language

My post on Facebook today:


I've never been one to worry much about being totally "politically correct" in the way I

phrase things, or get on a soap box for that matter. But now that I have a child with a

disability, I feel like I need to help people learn a new language.

It's called "People First Language."


When you refer to a person with Down Syndrome, PLEASE remember that he or she is just

that... a person. Anya is a girl who happens to have Down syndrome. She is NOT a "Down

syndrome child" or a "Down's girl" Or (this one gets me the most...)"A Down syndrome."

Sorry, it sounds like you're classifying a dog breed or something. Down syndrome DOES

NOT define my daughter. Just like my differences don't define me. If they did, you would

call me "an unorganized, sensitive crazy lady with six kids," instead of "Heather." :)

Down syndrome is only one of many, many things that make up a person with DS. Practice

saying "person with Down Syndrome." WITH is the key word. It will help make a

difference in how people view those with disabilities or illnesses.

No comments: