But now that I have a house full of children, it's the only time I have to do my three most important "me-time" activities: Pray, read scriptures and exercise. I'm grateful that my eyes pop open by 6:30. It's my golden time. On the days that I can get all three of those things in, life is good. The Spirit is with me and I can take on whatever the world or my family wants to throw my way.
I usually only get a few minutes for the meditation part, before the first of our Rugrats wakes up. That is usually Anya. Between 6:30 and 7:00, she climbs out of bed, walks out of her room, shuts her door loudly behind her (I wince every time) and heads down the stairs. I usually put a cartoon on for her so I can finish my reading, then it's usually only 20 minutes or so before I hear Eli crying out for us. (Don't know why he doesn't come downstairs on his own. He's in a big boy bed now!)
Anyhow, Jeremy is usually gone to work by this time and the older kids are still sleeping. I know that if I don't exercise right then, it won't happen because it gets hot. So I throw on some cool clothes and tennies, put the Little's, pajamas and all, into the stroller (they always say, YEAH!!!) and we are on our way.
There's a beautiful jogging trail near our house that winds through trees, along a river. That's where we usually go. But sometimes we go walk around this little reservoir that was just made this past year. It's so pretty.
I love to run, but my knees aren't so good any more, so I usually run some of the time and walk the rest. Once or twice a week, one of my good friends (Emily or Melissa) come along and we talk the whole hour away. (Emily took this picture.) It ALWAYS gets the feel-good chemicals going in the brain and we all agree it makes us much happier mommies.
A little side note: If you like to walk or especially run a lot and have a baby or young child or two, I highly recommend the Bob Revolution stroller. It is an investment, but a total dream to push. I didn't realize how great it was until I put Eli and Anya in a different double stroller one time and started sweating within a few seconds. Pushing a Bob is like driving a Lexus as opposed to an old Ford. :-) They are worth every penny. At least mine is. I use it MUCH more than my eliptical or gym membership.
So back to the subject of feel-good chemicals. There was a study done at the University of Washington on the effect of light and exercise on mood. It was found that going out for a brisk walk in the sunlight, even when it's cold and/or overcast, for a minimum of 20 minutes every day, will eliminate the need for anti-depressants in most women. Getting sunlight into your eyes is key! It totally works for me. Read the book When Your Body Gets the Blues, then try the formula, (at least 20 minutes of light and moderate exercise and a combination of mood-enhancing vitamins and minerals) and you'll be amazed! Most people even lose a little weight as a side-effect because of the way it changes the chemistry in their brain and gets rid of cravings. Cool!
My other favorite time of day in the summer is that hour or two before dark. It's just beautiful where we live. Our family walks around our neighborhood every Sunday night at this time. It's one of our favorite traditions.
Many times, we meet up with friends during our walks. Tonight it was the Brady's.
This was taken right in front of our house. How about that view of the Temple? Ahhh...
(Can someone tell me how to get a good far-away SLR picture when it's dark without the blur? I need help! I took a bunch of photos at my nephew's wedding reception last weekend and they ALL turned out blurry. UGH!)
Have a great week everyone! Enjoy your last few weeks of summer vacation. We're going to be busy with dentist and doctor appointments, some more painting in the house, a trip to Yellowstone, Anya's school IEP meetings, a bridal shower, a Josh Groban concert (me and my sisters and mom) and Landon's birthday! We never slow down around here. It's crazy!





11 comments:
Your neighborhood is just beautiful and I love the pictures. Thank you for sharing your morning with us..You rock!
I wish I were a morning person!
what a great neighborhood you have! It looks so pretty! I had no idea it was your birthday celebration when you came to the sealing? Happy belated birthday! We were so happy to have you there and can't wait until you get to do it with your family!
You guys seem to live close to my parents who work at the temple (Sam & Judy Bateman).
Great post! For the better evening photos, try turning down your f-stop, bump up your iso a bit (maybe to 800) and turn down your shutter and much as you can without getting blurry. If that doesn't work, you might need an aperture lens (one of those little bitty ones).
Hope that helps :)
Oh, I can't even imagine being able to see the temple when walking around the neighborhood. How amazing! Great inspiring blog about how important our "small" daily rituals are. AND, my daughter and I are both extremely jealous that you are going to the Josh Groban concert....lucky! :-) Okay, you can blog about it and we'll live vicariously! LOL!
Cynthia
http://www.adreamadoption.blogspot.com
OOOPS! I posted using my daughter's account...she is the BYU wahine in Hawaii. I'm just the boring mom living out in Northern CA and working on adopting twins! LOL!!
Cynthia
http://www.adreamadoption.blogspot.com
I don't run, but I have two dvds that I alternate (pilates for abs and balance ball) and I totally notice that on the days I exercise, I feel so much better. Happier, more energetic for sure. Less depressed. So it is amazing that the research is right!
Hi Heather ~ Love all of your photos! I'm so happy that Anya has adjusted so well into family life. This may sound crazy, but I'd rather sound crazy and be wrong, than to not mention it! I had to go back to Anya's surgery post to catch up and I noticed bruising on the shins of her legs in the photo of her in the recovery room. And, then I noticed them in every photo that her little legs are shown. The most recent was in the running buggy and they seem worse. I only mention this because I'm a retired Pediatric nurse and that bruising can be a symptom of some serious blood disorders. Leukemia is very common in children with DS (I'm sure you know that already) and bruising is one of the first symptoms. Perhaps you have already had her checked, but I just feel the need to tell you what I'm seeing. It's also common for toddlers/young children to bruise their legs while playing, but it just seems like it's been awhile when looking back. I hope I don't offend you and I don't even like to think about it as a possibility. Please let me know what you think. Hugs ~ Jo
Jo, thank for your concern. I've was concerned about it, too. But she has had a full blood work-up done and everything was normal. Don't know what is causing it.
Okay I found the greatest blog. She is Richard & Linda Eyre's daughter, she lives in AZ and she blogs about motherhood and life ect... but she is also a photographer and shares ALOT of info on how to use your camera to get the greatest pixs. Her blogspot is www.71toes.blogspot.com. Oh, and btw thanks so much for the info on the Chappels... we actually made an offer on that house and it looks like everything is going to go through!! Hurray!! We will be neighbors again soon! :) You must have been inspired becuz we hadn't even thought about that house at all. We thought the Chappels were buying it!! Crazy!
Post a Comment