Sunday, September 26, 2010

Buddy Walk


One of the best things I've done to prepare for having a child with Down Syndrome is getting involved in our local DS Foundation chapter.  I am serving on the board as the one who plans get-togethers for families of school-age children with DS.   I haven't done anything to get involved in our community for a while and it feels great!

Saturday was our Buddy Walk.  I was in charge of preparing and serving the breakfast.  We had Chick-Fil-A biscuits, melon, donuts and milk.  It was crazy trying to figure out quantities and getting donations.  Our chapter president was most successful in getting businesses to donate.  I didn't have much luck with that part.  But I'm glad I could be involved in such a great event.

This is our chapter president, Lisa's gorgeous daughter and hubby.


And here's another board member, Nicole with her cute boys.


Look at this guy.  Can you just eat him up?


Another board member, Summer with her little monkey. 
He had a mustache like her but he must have rubbed it off.



I set up a booth for Reece's Rainbow, to help spread the word about this great organization.  This is a poster I made on Photoshop and had Jeremy print out at work.  I put a few pictures of some of my favorite RR orphans on the poster and described what Reece's Rainbow is all about.

Here I am (on the right) with my two new friends Shannon and Angie.  Both of these awesome women are hoping to adopt a child with special needs through Reece's Rainbow and they offered to help with the booth.  It was so great to have them there! I have met so many incredible women through Reece's Rainbow who have either adopted already or are in the process. It was fun to actually meet a couple of them in person!  We handed out some brochures and talked to a few people.  I think we were successful in spreading the word a bit.  


What a great morning.  The weather was perfect, the atmosphere was perfect, and we had a great turn-out!  I'm so glad we got to get involved.  A couple of my good friends came to help with food and a few of Sadie's friends, too.  Jeremy was a huge help, too.  Thank you everyone who helped make this a success!  I'm excited to see how much money was raised.