Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Happy 70th, Mom!



My mom (Grandma Hinton) had her big 70th birthday on December 26th. Amazing! She always hated having her birthday the day after Christmas. But my siblings and I decided that this year we needed to honor her and let her know how much she means to us and how much we appreciate the part that she plays and has played in our lives.

My sister, Heidi stole her address book and sent letters to all the people she still corresponds with to have them write her a tribute that we could put together in a binder. She has many life-long friends. My parents have moved 30+ times in the years they have been married, and mom made great friends in every neighborhood. She always had a way of reaching out to those who otherwise don't have many friends, and helping them to know of their worth.

We had a big shin-dig in the clubhouse of the condos where my parents live in St. George. About 40 friends and family members came to honor her (that was before the kids arrived for dessert!) I think Dad told her that we were all meeting for dinner. She was surprised to walk into the clubhouse and see so many of her loved ones gathered.



Because of the stress that traveling with a baby and 4 kids creates, and the fact that we had so much travel already planned for Christmas break, we decided that Sadie and I would travel to St. George alone. It was the first time I had left Eli and I was still nursing, so I brought a pump and made it a quick 24-hour trip. Sadie stayed another day to hang out at Grandma and Grandpa's and spend time with her cousins.

Cafe Rio catered the dinner. It was so yummy! After dinner, all of us kids and some of her friends took turns standing up and sharing some of the things that they love about Mom. She was of course a bit embarrassed, but honored.

My aunt Mary, who introduced Mom to the gospel when she was 19.
Thank heavens for Mary!












My sister, Michelle, making the initial introduction to the party.
I love the smile on Mom's face. Priceless.
The grandchildren who were in town all came over for dessert later that evening.
They brought her some pretty flowers to put in a vase.



My parents raised seven children. They sacraficed so much to provide us with a good upbringing. Even though our family is big, Mom always has a way of making each one of us feel like her favorite. She remembers our birthdays with cards with personal notes and gifts that she hand-selects. She still does this with her 35(?) grand kids, too! I also love how excited she gets about the little things that my children do that no one else cares about. I know that if I tell her something about them, she will love hearing it and want to know more. I love it!
What I have inherited from my mother:





her love of making soup
her love of children
her passion for music
her love of serving
her interest in gardening, nature and spending time in the fresh air as much as possible
her desire to create continually
her interest in health and nutrition
her creativity in the kitchen
her frugality
her big, long teeth, dark blond hair and fair skin
her interest in people...learning everything she can learn about her friends
And lastly...her love for and testimony of the gospel of Jesus Christ.


Love you always, Mom. I'm so glad I was sent
to you.

No comments: