Saturday, May 23, 2009

Immunize by Four. With Number Four.


Our two littlest guys had surprises at the Pediatrician's office this past week. We're behind on Bennett's immunizations, so we caught him up with the Varicella and the 4th DTap shot. I told him it wouldn't hurt, thinking that if he was relaxed about it, maybe it wouldn't. I had just had a DTap booster in the hospital and it was a piece of cake. It must have been the Varicella that was the owie one because when that needle went in, he felt it! It was so sad. I felt like I had betrayed him.

Sorry, Bennett.

Then it was baby Eli's turn. Time for PKU screen #2. The poke in the heel and squeeze of blood into the little circles on the paper didn't seem as terrible for me as it has with past babies. This is because I was a bit preoccupied, comforting my poor, betrayed 3-year-old during that moment.

I guess being healthy and living in more of a communicable disease-free nation comes with a price. I still worry that my child will have some sort of permanent side-effect from one of those beastly little shots. That's why I've gone so slowly with Bennett's. Just one or two at a time, as recommended by our other, more "natural" doctor that we go to sometimes. So far so good.

Now, I have to decide whether to take it nice and slow with Eli, or to go ahead and let them do the 4 or 5 at a time that they normally do, so we're not still immunizing at age 3 and 4. Decisions, decisions.

It just makes me nervous! Does anyone else feel a little anxious about immunizations? I know this is a hot topic in America.

Here's the proud big brother on a happier day. He LOVES to hold his baby.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

sorry bennett, on the shot thing. j&h you two have the cutiest kids.well i am one of the grandmothers, but they are sooo cute. ttyl.cf-

Anonymous said...

I like the "go slowly" advice. Although there's differing opinions on immunizations, they are still saying there's way more benefits in getting them than there are risks. I personally would rather have the piece of mind. If you notice anything out of the ordinary, then that's when I would start questioning. Each child tolerates immunizations differently.

Lisa said...

Fist of all, sorry Bennett!
In Germany they usually do 3 at a time when they are about 3 and 6 months old. Everytime Rio was sick after that, he had fever and didn't feel well in general but it only lasted for one day and then it was okay again. But I think that can also happen with only one at a time. But 5 really is many. Maybe you should give it a try-it might happen that poor Eli is sick after that but I'm sure it won't be anything severe- and... you don`t have to betray him. :-)

Anonymous said...

My family doctor is question whether or not some of my neurological issues didn't stem from over immunization. I was immunized through school... Then in the MTC and then later in the Army... Who knows. The issue is so politicized is hard to know whats best for our health.