I love the first day of school. Have I said that already? The kids are psyched (surprizingly.) Mom's psyched. Their clothes and shoes are crisp and new. They come home with lots to talk about. And they all love thier teachers. We scored this year!
Landon started Junior High. Though he still goes to the same charter school, it's exciting because he's now in the part of the school that's just the big Jr. High kids, and he goes to 4 classes per day...and has a LOCKER!
Sadie's now an official upper-classman of elementary school, being in the 4th grade. Her teacher is extremely motivated, organized, creative and "hands-on." Everything Sadie loves and thrives on. I'm looking forward to a great year for her.
And Max is a first-grader! First grade means lunch and 3 recesses! Gotta love that. And a whole day of peace and quiet for mom. Bennett and I are buddies until 2:45 each day. And the time flies faster than I imagined. Usually in the mornings I'm out teaching aerobics or running errands. Then we have a few hours of quiet time where, if I'm lucky, he'll fall asleep. (It only happens about 1/3 of the time now.) This is where I get caught up on primary stuff, work on the computer, do laundry, etc. Before we know it, the garage door opens, the bikes are parked, the backpacks get thrown on the floor, and the pantry and fridge fly open. Then it's all business from there.
The first week of school went off without a hitch. Now it's the second week and I'm already having to drag them out of bed. Wow-that was fast. Oh well. The bliss can't last forever.

All geared up and ready to GO! Can you believe that this kid lugged this backpack 7 miles up a steep mountain (and back down too?) It took us all day to get all the STUFF he needed to go in this pack. (I never knew scouting was such an expensive ordeal!) This was his first big scout hike/overnighter. They backpacked up Mount Timpanogos. They slept out in a meadow until 5 am on Saturday, then ditched their backpacks and went all the way up to the "saddle." I think it was like 16 miles round trip. Wow--that's a big accomplishment for a boy who just turned 12. He was really nervous about it and didn't think he was going to make it at one point. But it's times like these that I'm really grateful for scouts because they learn that they CAN do HARD THINGS! I don't think he would have done that for mom and dad. It's so great to have other adults encouraging and mentoring your children. I love the way the gospel is set up for that. It really shapes them at such an important time.
My little brother, Greg and his wife Kris came to stay with us on the first day of school. They are from Afton, Wyoming. Too far away for us to see each other much. They came down for a concert and we watched their girls, Bella (3) and Louisa (4 months.) Cuties, I say! It was so great to have time to catch up with them. They have been through some tough times in their first years of marriage. But their faith and love for each other keeps them strong and positive. I admire them so much. Here's Bennett and his cuz Bella chattin' about life on the deck.
No comments:
Post a Comment