Tuesday, April 15, 2008

The Buzz on Breadmaking

OK, I have to share my latest discovery with you all. It's all the buzz right now with "Domestic Engineers" in Utah County. I think it's gaining popularity very quickly elsewhere as well. It's a method for making homemade bread that only requires 5 ingredients (or 6 if you use wheat flour) and takes only one hour from the time you pull out the mixer until the time it comes out of the oven! It has created bread-making fools out of hundreds of bread-o-phobics. Everyone I know who has started making this bread rants and raves about it how easy it is and how it turns out good every time. You use the same dough for anything you want like pizza crust, cinnamon rolls, dinner rolls, hamburger buns, french bread...you name it. The recipe makes 4-5 loaves of bread. But if you want to use part of it for, say, pizza crust or breadsticks for dinner that night, you can do that. The lady who created the recipe, Jeannie Dayton (from Pleasant Grove,) came to our Releif Society last week and demonstrated all the cool things you can do with it. Since then, I've made it 3 times. I halved the recipe on Sunday and made yummy rolls that my family devoured, and yesterday we had homemade pizza for dinner. In this case, I made 3 small loaves of bread and used the rest of the dough for the pizza crust. I laughed when Jeremy walked in the door last night and said, "Aren't you just a Molly Mormon these days?" He's not used to me being so domestic :) Here's a scan of the handout they gave us at R.S. To see it big, click on it. You should be able to print it from there.

You have to buy her DVD to get further directions and recipes. The website for scheduling classes and ordering stuff is on the handout. Here's a couple of things that she taught us at the class: 1) When you start mixing the dry & wet ingredients together, watch it and make sure it's not too dry. You will probably end up adding another 1/2 cup or so of water. You want it to resemble cookie dough at first--not be one big clump that goes around and around. It should be a little bit sticky to the touch. 2) You have to get the "SAF Instant Yeast" that it mentions in the recipe if you want it to raise this fast. I know you can get it at Macey's. Don't know where else. 3) You can get Liquid Lecithin at your local health food store, or order a convenient plastic bottle version of it from the website mentioned on the handout. I've made it with all whole wheat flour, as well as half w.w and and half white, and either way, it's incredible! Also, the recipe says to use bread flour. You can use regular, but the texture will not be as good, from what Jeannie says. Happy breadmaking!

2 comments:

Cynthia's Blog said...

Ohh. going to try this right away!

Anne said...

Thanks for sharing that! I was so sad I wasn't able to make it that night. Sounds like all I have to do is go over to your house and you will do it for me. lol Can't wait to try it out!