Four weeks ago last night, we arrived in the U.S. with our little babushka. Wow, what a month it’s been! I thought I’d update you all on how things are going.
Well…what can I say? Things are going really well. Hazel is showing signs of feeling more comfortable around here.
This past week, we’ve started taking Hazel out into public a little. I’ve taken her grocery shopping a couple of times. She just sits in the cart and jibber jabbers and points at things. When she gets bored, she lays her head down on her arms like she wants to go to sleep. It’s cute. I wish I had a picture.
Yesterday was Civil Rights Day, so the kids were out of school and needed something to do. I took them to McDonald’s so they could play on the indoor playground. Dozens of kids ran around and screamed in the play area, which you would think would be a disaster with a child who’s right out of an orphanage. (In our adoption training, we were taught to stay clear of crowds for a while.) Hazel seemed un-phased by all of the commotion, though. I will admit that it wasn’t a bit relaxing for me. Ha ha. She kept walking up to tables and trying to steal sips out of strangers’ drinks and food off their plates. We’re working on social manners. She’s also very fast! We’ll have to watch her closely in places like this because she’ll run off in the blink of an eye!
Luckily, she’s easily distracted, though. We usually just take her out of the kitchen or give her something to do at the counter and she’s all good with life again.
She’s learning to control the amount of food that goes into her mouth now. After only a month, she’s stopped overly-stuffing food in. That’s a relief! I was worried about her choking.
Honestly, we are amazed by how much easier this has been this time around. The fact that Hazel’s the “youngest” has made a HUGE difference. No one feels threatened or jealous. Everyone has treated her like she’s always been here. Both Anya and Eli are used to sharing every little thing. So what’s one more to share it with? No big deal to them.
This video is kind of silly to include, but I thought you all might enjoy it. This is Jeremy and I with the 3 little’s right before bedtime one night, singing some favorite action songs.
Other than her nose and her skin, her health seems to be great. We’re still waiting for our insurance to pick her up (it’s supposed to start Feb 1) then we’ll take her in for all the normal Ds screenings like blood work, heart tests, etc.
We took her to our regular dentist and she actually let him look in her mouth. He didn’t take x-rays, but he says from what he can see, her teeth look great! Yay for that!
Hazel’s rocking back and forth has lessened a bit. She still does it, but not all the time like before. That’s good.
One day, she walked into the bathroom on her own and pooped in her little potty. I got so excited thinking this was a breakthrough. It never happened again. I need to get serious and do a concentrated few days of teaching her to initiate her own bathroom trips. Trying to psych myself up for it.
Jeremy and I are pretty much in survival mode right now, though. It’s amazing how adding just one little family member can challenge you so much! It’s not that Hazel is super challenging (other than being busy and into things.) We’re just a little overwhelmed with all the responsibility that comes with having seven kids! Making sure their school assignments are turned in on time is a full-time job! The two oldest have tons of homework and are big procrastinators. Our middle kiddo is thankfully very on top of things at school and rarely has homework, but then our two first-graders have lots of homework every night. On top of that, we have our church callings, Jeremy has a business to run…we had lots of colds and coughs this past month….it’s just so much!
At the same time, though, we feel so incredibly blessed. We know this is exactly what we’re supposed to be doing right now, raising all seven of these kiddos. We wouldn’t change a thing. One day, we’ll look back at this time and long for the craziness again. I love being a mom so much.
Life is wonderful. God is so good.
Well…what can I say? Things are going really well. Hazel is showing signs of feeling more comfortable around here.
You’ll find her…
snuggling with Mommy
joining her siblings and their friends in fun stuff
helping to fold laundry…or letting big brother “fold” her, that is. (Is she not the most flexible little person you’ve ever seen? She could be a contortionist!)
watching sermons on the internet
sharing the iPad
and…well…just looking irresistibly cute.
Adjustment to life in the real world:
Yesterday was Civil Rights Day, so the kids were out of school and needed something to do. I took them to McDonald’s so they could play on the indoor playground. Dozens of kids ran around and screamed in the play area, which you would think would be a disaster with a child who’s right out of an orphanage. (In our adoption training, we were taught to stay clear of crowds for a while.) Hazel seemed un-phased by all of the commotion, though. I will admit that it wasn’t a bit relaxing for me. Ha ha. She kept walking up to tables and trying to steal sips out of strangers’ drinks and food off their plates. We’re working on social manners. She’s also very fast! We’ll have to watch her closely in places like this because she’ll run off in the blink of an eye!
Food:
Hazel still gets upset when we’re in the kitchen preparing food. She’s used to eating time (including snack time) being an event, where everyone sits at the table and eats at the same time. I doubt she ever even saw her food being prepared. So you can imagine how frustrating/confusing it is for her when she sees people in the family preparing or eating food and she doesn’t have any! There are times she just wails when people are eating snacks. And, like a little toddler, she hangs onto my leg when I’m preparing meals.Luckily, she’s easily distracted, though. We usually just take her out of the kitchen or give her something to do at the counter and she’s all good with life again.
She’s learning to control the amount of food that goes into her mouth now. After only a month, she’s stopped overly-stuffing food in. That’s a relief! I was worried about her choking.
Hazel loves following Eli and Anya around and wants to do whatever they are doing.
Like true siblings, they get mad many times because they don’t want her to
mess things up.
They are slowly including her more and more, though.
Eli has done a great job teaching her that Play Doh is not for eating.
He’s my Hazel-alarm. He doesn’t let her get away with anything. He yells “HAZEL!” whenever she’s touching something that’s off-limits.
But at the same time, their bond is forming.
How can it not with a snuggler like Hazel? If she sees Eli sitting on the bed or couch, she scoots herself right up to him. He has no choice but to get used to this new chick.Honestly, we are amazed by how much easier this has been this time around. The fact that Hazel’s the “youngest” has made a HUGE difference. No one feels threatened or jealous. Everyone has treated her like she’s always been here. Both Anya and Eli are used to sharing every little thing. So what’s one more to share it with? No big deal to them.
This video is kind of silly to include, but I thought you all might enjoy it. This is Jeremy and I with the 3 little’s right before bedtime one night, singing some favorite action songs.
Health:
Hazel still has a runny nose. Ugh. Getting tired of wiping that little thing. I took her to the doctor and got her some Amoxicillin, but it didn’t clear things up. Either she has a really stubborn sinus infection, or she’s allergic to our cat! The snot isn’t clear, so I’m suspecting infection. But I know she’s got some allergies, by the looks of her red cheeks. So we’ll be exploring this further.Other than her nose and her skin, her health seems to be great. We’re still waiting for our insurance to pick her up (it’s supposed to start Feb 1) then we’ll take her in for all the normal Ds screenings like blood work, heart tests, etc.
We took her to our regular dentist and she actually let him look in her mouth. He didn’t take x-rays, but he says from what he can see, her teeth look great! Yay for that!
Hazel’s rocking back and forth has lessened a bit. She still does it, but not all the time like before. That’s good.
Potty Training:
I know you’re all just dying to hear about this. Ha ha! Hazel stays dry as long as I take her in to potty every hour or so. She poops in her pants, though. For this reason, I usually put Pull-Ups on her. There’s nothing more gross than cleaning up poopy underwear, if you ask me. One day, she walked into the bathroom on her own and pooped in her little potty. I got so excited thinking this was a breakthrough. It never happened again. I need to get serious and do a concentrated few days of teaching her to initiate her own bathroom trips. Trying to psych myself up for it.
How are WE doing?
The kids all love Hazel dearly. They have all taken her right under their wings and they’re bonding with her more and more as the days pass. Like I said, she’s so darn cute and cuddly, it’s not a hard thing to do. Jeremy and I are pretty much in survival mode right now, though. It’s amazing how adding just one little family member can challenge you so much! It’s not that Hazel is super challenging (other than being busy and into things.) We’re just a little overwhelmed with all the responsibility that comes with having seven kids! Making sure their school assignments are turned in on time is a full-time job! The two oldest have tons of homework and are big procrastinators. Our middle kiddo is thankfully very on top of things at school and rarely has homework, but then our two first-graders have lots of homework every night. On top of that, we have our church callings, Jeremy has a business to run…we had lots of colds and coughs this past month….it’s just so much!
At the same time, though, we feel so incredibly blessed. We know this is exactly what we’re supposed to be doing right now, raising all seven of these kiddos. We wouldn’t change a thing. One day, we’ll look back at this time and long for the craziness again. I love being a mom so much.
Life is wonderful. God is so good.












5 comments:
Post a Comment