Thursday, November 8, 2012

21 FLOORS OVER NOVO - Minus 8 degrees F by Jeremy

I grew up in northern Utah in Cache Valley where the thermometer drops below freezing often.  Heather grew up in sunny St. George, Utah where all the people go that want to get away from northern Utah winters. It's golfing weather much of the winter. So, when Heather and I discussed her staying with me for this next week or returning home, our children were her first concern, the next was the cold.

After a short walk to the metro she informed me she had made her decision. She was going home for sure. :)

Today I ventured out on a stroll around this part of the city. I went about 2 1/2 blocks towards Lenin square and changed my mind. I crossed the street and headed back to the apartment on the other side of the street where the -8 degree F winds were blocked just a little bit.

This picture is for Heather. As a landscape architect I'm always complaining to her that  no one plants evergreens here! I found about 8 of them Heather just down the street! The other crazy thing is that all (ok most) of their sidewalks and entrances to buildings are a slick ceramic tile paver. There is not a non-slip surface on them at all and you'd think a city in Siberia would design better for the...winter? Sorry for the rant. I'm a fish out of water

I did venture into a few stores for a short reprieve but after realizing, again, I wouldn't be able to communicate with anyone about anything, I pushed on and made one last stop at the very cool train station across from my hotel.





I felt like I had stepped back in time. This place was architecturally cool and very Russian looking. To add to the nostalgia there were a couple hundred young soldiers all waiting in the station for what looked like their deployment. Excellent experience!

As I walked back out into the large courtyard in front of the train station i had to get this picture of a vendor lady being over run with pigeons. It must be hard to get customers to come to your cart when there are a couple hundred feathered friends blocking the way and threatening to attack you if you dare approach. She was actually feeding them. I'm a small town boy so I'm easily amused.

Here's a shot of my hotel from the train station. 21 Floors over Novo is right in the middle of the action. Too bad my Russian stops with the word 'hello'. I fear if I say hello someone will think i can speak their beautiful language and lead further into an already dead conversation. I think I'll just smile instead.

Finally, when i ran into a shop to escape the -8 I found some Russian Dark Chocolate and had to try it out. While writing this post I've finished about half of it and the best part, i don't have to share with my wife...Just kidding, I'd much rather share... Sorry Heather, I don't think it will make it home.


Thanks minus 8 Novo for the adventure today!