This weekend, our niece, Danielle got married. My camera is still in the shop and I was unmotivated to take pictures with my phone, so I have no pretty pictures to share, but it was such a beautiful wedding.
Danielle and Cody were married in the Logan LDS Temple, which is about a two hour drive from here. Their wedding was in the afternoon, so they had a brunch in the morning for the extended family. Jeremy and I thoroughly enjoyed our day away from work and kids. The whole day was like one big breath of fresh air.
After the brunch, we had an hour to kill before the wedding, so we drove around Logan a little bit. We drove past our first apartment and reminisced about how fun it was to be newlyweds. It was a basement studio apartment. Our visitors had to come into our bedroom if they wanted to have a seat and talk. Rent was only $180 a month!
I love Cache Valley. I would live there in a heartbeat if there was any way to make it work. The winters are brutal, but the summers. OH, the summers! I have so many memories of summertime in that beautiful, green valley.
-----------------------
My parents moved from St. George to Logan (from one end of the state to the other) when I was 19. My dad got a job at USU as the catering director. I had a full scholarship to Dixie College my freshman year, so I stayed there that year, but then I moved to Logan the next fall. Unlike most students, my family lived in town, so I stuck around during the summers. I moved out of my apartments and lived with mom and dad during that time, so I could save money. I loved running in the cool evenings with our Cocker spaniel, smelling the freshly-cut alfalfa and even the silage.
Because my dad worked in the student center, he got to know the manager of the bookstore and he pulled some strings and got me a job there my sophomore year. I started out in the textbook department, checking off orders and stocking shelves. It was a perfect job, right on campus, where I could walk to work in between classes.
Turns out, that job was meant to be. That first Christmas break, unlike most of the other students, I decided to work, since I was in town anyway. A cute blonde kid named Jeremy, who's parents also lived in Cache Valley, had just returned from his 2-year LDS mission to South Africa and he happened to get a job in the bookstore warehouse. He came into the store every day to load textbooks into the store and on the shelves. He was so happy and excited to be there, I remember thinking he had to be the happiest person I’d ever met. I always looked forward to him coming in because his zeal was so contagious. We talked every day while we took books out of the boxes and put them on the shelves. I loved how he seemed so genuinely interested in getting to know me, even though he had come home from the most amazing experience of his life. I felt his genuineness and I really liked it.
Fate would have it that we ended up in the SAME math 101 class when school started up in January. We were both happy to know someone in the class because neither of us liked math and we were excited to have someone to study with. We ended up meeting a few times a week at my apartment to do homework together. We became great friends. We both loved how comfortable we were around each other. For a year and a half, we had sort of a brother-sister relationship. It wasn’t until I started preparing to leave for 18 months for my mission, that our friendship turned to romance. I’ll tell you what, that was one of the hardest things I’ve ever done, knowing deep down in my gut that he was “the one” and having to leave him for that long. But we both knew it wasn’t time to settle down. I was supposed to serve a mission and he still had some things to experience as well. It turns out that he was a counselor at EFY (a youth camp put on by BYU) and also served on the student council at the LDS institute. We both had amazing experiences during those 18 months that have shaped our lives. We wrote each other letters almost every week. I returned from my mission on Dec. 23, 1994 and we were engaged by the first of February and married on April 21. When it’s right, it’s right, y’all. No sense sitting around wasting time!
I finished my degree that following year and he did the year after that. During that time, we were resident assistants in family student housing. Landon was born when we were there. SO many memories of that place.
-------------------------
It’s been years since we have gone back to see that little spot where we met, in the USU bookstore. So before the wedding Friday when we had that hour to kill, we could think of nothing more fun than visiting it again and taking a picture there. Sorry to those of you who are friends with me on facebook…you have to see it again. Hee hee. It just brings a smile to my face.

One of our ward friends commented on facebook by saying, “Looks like PDA is still alive and well for the Fillmores.” I didn’t even know what “PDA” meant, ha ha! I had to Google it. In case you’re naïve like me, it stands for “public display of affection.” Too funny…I wish I could say we still kiss in public. It was kind of fun to pull the poor bookstore worker over and ask her to snap a picture of us kissing, though. That’s about as exciting as it gets for us old married folks.
Danielle and Cody were married in the Logan LDS Temple, which is about a two hour drive from here. Their wedding was in the afternoon, so they had a brunch in the morning for the extended family. Jeremy and I thoroughly enjoyed our day away from work and kids. The whole day was like one big breath of fresh air.
After the brunch, we had an hour to kill before the wedding, so we drove around Logan a little bit. We drove past our first apartment and reminisced about how fun it was to be newlyweds. It was a basement studio apartment. Our visitors had to come into our bedroom if they wanted to have a seat and talk. Rent was only $180 a month!
I love Cache Valley. I would live there in a heartbeat if there was any way to make it work. The winters are brutal, but the summers. OH, the summers! I have so many memories of summertime in that beautiful, green valley.
-----------------------
My parents moved from St. George to Logan (from one end of the state to the other) when I was 19. My dad got a job at USU as the catering director. I had a full scholarship to Dixie College my freshman year, so I stayed there that year, but then I moved to Logan the next fall. Unlike most students, my family lived in town, so I stuck around during the summers. I moved out of my apartments and lived with mom and dad during that time, so I could save money. I loved running in the cool evenings with our Cocker spaniel, smelling the freshly-cut alfalfa and even the silage.
Because my dad worked in the student center, he got to know the manager of the bookstore and he pulled some strings and got me a job there my sophomore year. I started out in the textbook department, checking off orders and stocking shelves. It was a perfect job, right on campus, where I could walk to work in between classes.
Turns out, that job was meant to be. That first Christmas break, unlike most of the other students, I decided to work, since I was in town anyway. A cute blonde kid named Jeremy, who's parents also lived in Cache Valley, had just returned from his 2-year LDS mission to South Africa and he happened to get a job in the bookstore warehouse. He came into the store every day to load textbooks into the store and on the shelves. He was so happy and excited to be there, I remember thinking he had to be the happiest person I’d ever met. I always looked forward to him coming in because his zeal was so contagious. We talked every day while we took books out of the boxes and put them on the shelves. I loved how he seemed so genuinely interested in getting to know me, even though he had come home from the most amazing experience of his life. I felt his genuineness and I really liked it.
Fate would have it that we ended up in the SAME math 101 class when school started up in January. We were both happy to know someone in the class because neither of us liked math and we were excited to have someone to study with. We ended up meeting a few times a week at my apartment to do homework together. We became great friends. We both loved how comfortable we were around each other. For a year and a half, we had sort of a brother-sister relationship. It wasn’t until I started preparing to leave for 18 months for my mission, that our friendship turned to romance. I’ll tell you what, that was one of the hardest things I’ve ever done, knowing deep down in my gut that he was “the one” and having to leave him for that long. But we both knew it wasn’t time to settle down. I was supposed to serve a mission and he still had some things to experience as well. It turns out that he was a counselor at EFY (a youth camp put on by BYU) and also served on the student council at the LDS institute. We both had amazing experiences during those 18 months that have shaped our lives. We wrote each other letters almost every week. I returned from my mission on Dec. 23, 1994 and we were engaged by the first of February and married on April 21. When it’s right, it’s right, y’all. No sense sitting around wasting time!
I finished my degree that following year and he did the year after that. During that time, we were resident assistants in family student housing. Landon was born when we were there. SO many memories of that place.
-------------------------
It’s been years since we have gone back to see that little spot where we met, in the USU bookstore. So before the wedding Friday when we had that hour to kill, we could think of nothing more fun than visiting it again and taking a picture there. Sorry to those of you who are friends with me on facebook…you have to see it again. Hee hee. It just brings a smile to my face.
One of our ward friends commented on facebook by saying, “Looks like PDA is still alive and well for the Fillmores.” I didn’t even know what “PDA” meant, ha ha! I had to Google it. In case you’re naïve like me, it stands for “public display of affection.” Too funny…I wish I could say we still kiss in public. It was kind of fun to pull the poor bookstore worker over and ask her to snap a picture of us kissing, though. That’s about as exciting as it gets for us old married folks.
1 comment:
Now did you stand smoochin' in the store when you worked there????? It is a very sweet picture and I like to see married folks show affection even if their children want to hide their eyes. :)
Post a Comment