If you were to ask a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints anywhere in the world what their favorite children's song is, they would most likely say, "I am a Child of God." It's a beautiful, classic song that just makes you feel all warm and fuzzy inside. Really, knowing that you're a child of God affects everything in your life. It adds meaning and perspective during hard times and just makes you want to be a better person.
My Mother-in Law sent me the link to this video this morning, and it reminded me of something I've wanted to write about since last November.
I've heard this song and loved it my whole life, but never did it pierce my heart more than it did the day after we returned from our first trip to Russia, after meeting Anya for the first time and spending time in her orphanage. I don't know how anyone can spend time with parent-less children in an orphanage and have them desperately cling to you, and not leave a changed person.
The day after we returned home, those feelings were raw. My perspective was now different and I was on the verge of tears just thinking about what we had just experienced. That morning at church, the Primary children (over a hundred of them) sang two songs in Sacrament Meeting because it was Thanksgiving weekend. The first song was about being thankful for all of God's blessings, and the other one was "I am a Child of God."
When I saw all those gorgeous children up there on the stand dressed in their Sunday best, I fought hard to choke back my tears. But it was when I heard these familiar words that I totally lost it:
"I am a Child of God, and He has sent me here. Has given me and earthly home, with parents kind and dear. Lead me, guide me, walk beside me. Help me find the way. Teach me all that I can do to live with him some day."
I wanted to stop all those pretty children on their way back to their seats and say, "Do you have ANY idea just how blessed you are to have an earthly home, especially with parents parents who are kind and dear?
Oh, I hope you are really thankful, children. I mean really, really thankful."
Every time I hear that song now, I think about that day.
But really, that's only one part of the song, and the rest of it is what truly brings comfort to all people on the earth, whether they have earthly parents or not. It's about the blessings that are in store for everyone.
"I am a Child of God. Rich blessings are in store. If I but learn to do His will, I'll live with Him once more."
Even the 147 million orphans who are currently on the earth will one day know that they are Children of God. One day, they will be embraced by his love and know that they are home. I believe that God has families and mansions prepared for them in heaven, where they will live happily forever and ever. That belief helps to make up for the pain, and at the same time, it moves me forward in somehow helping to make things better for them here on earth.
Tuesday, July 5, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Thanks for the reminder. I sat down to read your post and my son Ben (who has down syndrome) climbed on my lap. He had us watch the video over and over for at least seven times in a row. The whole time the video played, he would sing part of a word here and there. I too grew up knowing this song--- but seeing my son try to sing it (he has apraxic like speech problems) really touched and reminded.me that yes, we are all God's children and he is aware of our needs and trials and loves us dearly.
Ok finally had a minute to catch up on your blog...love the birthday fun! she looks so happy and Sadie is a perfect older sistser to her! I love that Sadie came to the airport too! Love this post!
So glad all the surgery stuff went well! what a litttle tropper! we need to get together sometime soon1
I loved this post - just found your blog from another mother working to get her special little boy from Russia! I have my own wonderful little soul with DS - Grant, who's 5 years old and the light of our life (I think you have a Grant too?) For the last six months since I've heard of Reece's Rainbow I've had these children on my mind almost constantly. And like you, even though I can't say I've witnessed the orphanages first hand, I've viewed the world with different eyes. We are so incredibly, unbelievably blessed. I'm trying so hard to be a much more grateful person and will teach my children how wonderful they have it and how we must love and serve and give to others.
I pray that we will be receptive to the call of taking in one of these precious children if that's what God desires of us at this time. I know it's something we are both interested in, yet not sure if this is a good time or not. Thank you for this beautiful reminder - - I'm sure our easy lives here in the U.S. and as members of the church take on new meaning after the experiences you've had!
Post a Comment