Monday, January 11, 2010

We're "Stripping Down"

I caught a few minutes of Oprah today while I was taking a breather. They had a family on the show who had become completely disconnected because of too much going on in their lives and being totally dependant on electronics. Peter Walsh gave them a challenge to completely cut out computers, cell phones, iPods, and everything else electronic except the regular phone for one full week and it did wonders (surprize, surprize.) He called it the "Stripped Down Family Challenge."

I sat there and thought, "I know the kids and I are going to hate this like crazy, but I want to give it a try!" Just for an experiment. So I proposed it to the family tonight. I was very surprized that the ones who use the computer the most were the ones who were most excited about it. Max is really worried about what he's going to do on Saturday morning when he wakes up before the rest of the family and can't watch cartoons. But as long as we have some fun alternatives in place, I think he'll survive somehow. Oh, and I told the kids I have to get on my e-mail once per day for just 5 minutes to make sure there's not something from their teachers that I need to know right away. But that's IT! This will probably be hardest for me when the kids are at school. Who knows, I might just get something done around here.

Wish us luck! Back in a week!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow, good luck. That would be hard for me. Let me know how it goes, maybe you will inspire us too.

Lytles said...

My son took this challenge last year in his class at school. It was for a month. The whole family was affected by his challenge but it was a good thing! I saw board games come out of hiding and the kids played outside with each other more then they ever have. At the end of the month my son was one of the seven from his class who made it. I think its great that your family has decided to take the challege. You will notice changes in your family like we did.

Krystal said...

Sounds a little tricky! Good will come from it though ;)

I wish you the best and hope you feel like updating the results when you have the ability to get back on!

Lisa said...

Good luck with it!! ;D

Anonymous said...

How did this go??

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.