Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Our Mighty Max

Parenthood is so interesting. Some days, when I'm tired and tense, I wonder if I'm going to completely blow it. And then, just when I'm really starting to wonder, one of my children will go above and beyond what I ever thought they had in them. I don't take any of the credit. They are just incredible spirits and it doesn't matter how many mistakes I make, they're going to turn out great.

Max is teaching us this right now. A couple months ago, his amazing primary teacher, Sister Bottom (don't you love the name?) pulled me aside and told me that she was concerned about Max. She said that lately, he seemed to have no interest in Primary and had lost his zeal in the classroom. I told her it was probably a phase. I know boys who are seven have one thing on their minds at all times: playing. If it's not fun, they usually aren't interested. And three hours of sitting through church is a long time for a seven year old boy.

Max is a very spirited child. We have to be deal with problems in just right the right way with him, or it backfires big time. So I knew I would have to mention it to him casually and not get angry at all. So that's what I did. I could tell it embarrassed him a bit. But that was it.

A couple of days later, he told me that he wanted to read the whole Book of Mormon on his own. Out of the blue. I thought, "Great! It will probably only last a week, but it'll be good for him." Well, it's been two months now, and he's still reading most nights!

And what a difference it has made in our boy. He's more positive. He's more obedient. And he's even doing nice things for his family members!

Last month, he was given a Kit Kat as a reward for good behavior at school. He knew that Landon looooves Kit Kats, so he tucked it in his backpack, came right home after school and headed down to Landon's room in the basement. He wanted to make this gift as special as he could, so he made his bed the best he could, wrote him a love note and put the Kit Kat right on the top. He was SOOO excited for his big brother to come home and find his surprise. It was so precious, I had to follow them down and take a couple pictures.





Another day, he wanted to make me happy. So he got up early and had Dad help him make me a special breakfast. He wrote me a sweet note, too.

Photobucket

Not only is he doing random acts of kindness for his family members, he's also getting straight A's in school and memorizing the Articles of Faith with his primary class (he's on #11!) I'm so pleased that he's preparing for his baptism, all on his own. I'm learning to never underestimate what children can do when someone believes in them. AND the power that the Book of Mormon has to bring peace into ALL hearts... young and old.

OK, I have to record this one more thing about Max. Last night was his last basketball game. He played with the AF Recreation Department, twice a week over the last month. He was SOOOO excited to go to this last game. And so hopeful that he would finally make his first basket. He kept reminding us all night, so we wouldn't be late.

When Jeremy and the kids (I stayed home with the cranky teething baby) arrived at the Jr. High for the game, they saw Max's friends who are on his team leaving the building. Wouldn't you know it, I had written down the WRONG TIME on my calendar? Oh, he was SO heartbroken! He cried all night. Dad took him to Wal-mart to pick out a toy. But that didn't ease the pain. I felt horrible. All I could do is hug him and tell him how awesome it will be next year. I remember as a child having huge disappointments happen and crying my little eyes out. Anyway, I feel so bad about blowing it last night...so I had to make it up with a big shout-out post all about Max. I just love that boy.

Here's a poster I made to display in his classroom. He's one of the "Superstars" in his classroom this month.

max poster

1 comment:

Lisa said...

Way to go Max!!
That KitKat story is SO cute.
I still remember Max having this star in kindergarden around christmas which he was supposed to put on the beds after he had made them. That was SO cute too!