Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Scout Homework

Our 12-year-old Boy Scout went to a Merit Badge Pow-Wow at UVU a few weeks ago. We love pow-wows. Merit badges are slam-dunks with little help from leaders or parents. (Just FYI, I am not the ideal scout mom. Lucky for our house full of boys, Dad is an Eagle Scout. He should be the one getting the pins at the meetings, not me. I'm doing good to get the dang badges sewn on within 6 months of earning them. But that's beside the point. :))

For each workshop there are two sessions, two weeks apart. In those two weeks, they are assigned homework. Landon did the photography workshop this year. One of his assignments was to take a bunch of photos that met certain criteria. In true Fillmore fashion, he remembered this assignment the night before. Being the "photographer wanna-be" that I am, this was very maddening because of all the really cool shots he could have taken had there been some nice natural light to work with, and the great outdoors. But it didn't bug him one bit. Household objects and brothers work just as well.

Criteria:
Something that shows emotion




Luckily, little brother was a willing participant in this one.

Something in 3's:
Funny thing is, he didn't even bother to get clean forks for the shot.

Something in motion:


Another willing participant. Jump off the couch? Sure!

A reflection

Something that casts a shadow


Something with light shining through it

...And we got the files sent off to Costco just in the nick of time so Dad could pick them up on his way home. Whew! Close one.

3 comments:

JulzBlox said...

That is an awesome post! I love those Pow-Wow's too. Tanner had a great time there. But you're right, the homework can be a pain to do in a timely fashion. Glad to see he earned the merit badge! Good job!

Cari said...

My poor boys. I'm the worlds worst scout mom. Luckily they have good leaders! The pow-wow's are great. Landon is quite the photog!

Lisa said...

Funny story! That´s Landon as I know him. :-)haha