Wednesday, December 25, 2013

One Year Ago

One year ago last night, Sadie and I walked off of the plane with our new little Russian.





Can't believe it's been a year! It's been fun reminiscing with Sadie this past week.
"One year ago right now, we were driving to the orphanage in negative 30 degree weather."
"One year ago right now, we were flying over the ocean," Etc.
This was an unforgettable experience, especially for Sadie.



Watching our little girls open their presents this morning,
I couldn't help but think about how lucky we are.

 

We are able to provide for them a loving family,
healthy food, acceptance, a good education,
and endless opportunities.

But what they are providing for us is
so. much. more.

 

Most of which I can't really explain with words
but in general, they have given us a greater appreciation
for little things that we've always taken for granted with our other children


 
and a greater understanding of what our Savior did,
and continues to do for us.
 
How his Atonement enables us to get through hard times
and to just be better. 
How unconditionally He loves us.
 
I've made so many mistakes with these girls,
and wonder many days if I'm cut out to be
a mom of seven...two with special needs.
 
But He is helping me become the Mom that He knows I can be.
One mistake,
one lesson at a time.

I couldn't help think about the timing of it all.
Had our court date been just a few weeks later,
Hazel would have been sentenced to a horrible life
in a remote Siberian institution.
We think about all those sweet angels who had parents coming for them
and weren't so lucky
and we have to squeeze her a little tighter.


 
We haven't lost hope for them, though.
We still pray for them often, and I can promise you
their would-be parents do, too.

This video was made by one of my friends.
A heart-broken mama who wants more than anything
 to bring her sweet girl home.
 
These families are not giving up hope, and neither are we.

3 comments:

Katrina said...

Hazel is such a beautiful little girl. I am so glad she was able to make it home just in time. I cannot imagine what life would be for her if not. Thank you for caring about the others left behind and sharing our video. These children left behind cannot be forgotten.

Unknown said...

Thank you for sharing the video. We have not forgotten our Russian children. I really appreciate everyone who helps share the video and remind others. As Katrina said, these children cannot be forgotten.

Jill Austin said...

This is so heartbreaking! I bawled my eyes out. Has anything changed in the last year that you know of? I prayer their hearts will soften and this ridiculous ban will be reversed. These sweet children and their parents.