Monday, March 21, 2011

Gotcha Day, Part 2

I was in such a hurry to get our pictures up that I forgot one of the best parts of the day. It was watching my  daughter eat for my first time. I am so amazed at the manners she has at the table. She slowly ate each bite of her lunch, so politely. And just like a Russian, she held her fork in her right hand and her piece of bread in her left hand throughout the whole meal. 

I've read about kids coming out of orphanages and devouring their food like it's the first time they've been allowed to eat. Not these two. It was very apparent to us that they have always had plenty to eat and have healthy relationships with food. 


For her first five and a half years, Anya was taken care of and loved as much as her caregivers could love her. For this I am very, very grateful. I know that most here in Eastern Europe who are born with special needs are not so lucky.

So it looks like the Mac-n-Cheese got a thumbs-up.  And the apples and bread, too!

I walked to the store to get a few things and when I came back, they were both in the bath, happy as can be.  Another surprise for us.  They told me at the orphanage that they shower the kids once a week and don't give baths because it would take too much time.   Anya was a little hesitant when Katrina was filling the tub, but as soon as she saw Vahnya get in and start splashing away, she thought, "that looks fun!"  She was much more calm than him, since she's more mature and all. :) She just poured water from one cup to another the whole time. Neither one of them were a bit happy when it was time to get out.

All cozy in their new jammies.  Don't you just want to eat 'em all up?

 Today was Anya's first day ever in her life with no nap.  She was too hyped up from the excitement to settle down for one and I didn't want to fight it, especially since I've never had a child this age who takes naps!  I'm lucky if they make it to age three!

So she was pretty tired by 9:00.  It took her about 20 minutes to finally give up. But the whole time she was getting there, she had to have some part of her body touching me. If I moved, she would snuggle closer.

Tonight, my little girl experienced something she's never experienced in her five and a half years on this earth.

A mommy to snuggle next to.

Thank you, Dear Father for giving me this perfect child.  

I don't know why you chose me, or if I'll ever be worthy of this calling.  But thank you. 

She's simply beautiful.