Sunday, December 14, 2008

Bliss

Our neighbor is in the Mormon Tabernacle Choir. Lucky us. He called Saturday to see if we'd like to go to the special Christmas production on Sunday morning. There were only two tickets, so Sadie and I went together. Although we had to get up early,drive on scary, accident-filled roads, stress majorly as we sat in traffic trying to get into the parking garage, then forgot to take note of the level and section that our car was in (that's another story in itself)...it was completely spectacular. If you saw Music and the Spoken Word this morning, you got a glimpse of what we got to see. They filmed the program, then performed most of the rest of the show that they had been performing on Thursday, Friday and Saturday night to sold-out audiences. There were guest performers, dancers, and lots of bells. We sat on the floor about 15 rows back. Wow, they can put on quite a show. I was choking back tears most of the program. It was stirring, entertaining, and inspiring. One and a half hours that I wished I could bottle up and save for hard times.

Sadie asked why everyone was standing when they were singing the Hallelujah Chorus from Handel's Messiah. I had forgotten that it's normal protocol to do that when that number is performed. But I knew immediately that it's out of respect for the one whom they were praising. I could only imagine that this is probably only a small taste of what we felt as we were part of the heavenly angels who announced the Savior's birth over 2000 years ago. I stood there and closed my eyes, imagining what it will be like to meet Him again some day. I wondered if a glorious choir such as this would be singing His praises, or if it would be a quiet and intimate meeting. Either way, it will be simply perfect.

No comments: