As you can see by my lack of blogging this past year, it's been just a little bit crazy at our house. We moved back to AF in July and we still haven't sold our Springville house, so this summer has been focused on all of that.
Can I just say one thing though? It's completely silent in our house right now. Like, the only thing I am hearing is the birds chirping outside and the clicking of my fingers on the keyboard. ALL of my kids are in school! I have from 8:20 am until 2:30 p.m. all to myself. It's weird, but so amazing. I actually have time to sit down at the computer without someone complaining that there's nothing to do or eat. ;)
I won't ever be able to catch up on the blog. But I really want to pick things up from here and start blogging our lives again. I've been doing little snippets on Instagram for the past year or so, but I miss writing. Writing is what makes me happy. It helps me to think about the present. To live in it and appreciate it. And those blog books bring us so much joy.
So....without further words, I bring to you the first day of school! Today!!
Sadie left for her first day at AF High at 7:20. She wouldn't let me take any pictures, dang her. She looked gorgeous, though. She's been so nervous about starting a new High School. She loved Springville High so much. This has been a hard thing for her. But luckily she knows a handful of people from our neighborhood, after growing up here. She has been battling migraines this past year. Stress brings them on in greater abundance. We're working on getting to the bottom of them because they make her miss a lot of school. Her grades last year suffered big time. What a trooper she is, though. She's going to do amazing things one day.
The boys have all returned to our beloved charter school after moving back. The school is literally right behind the house. We have a back gate that goes to the playground behind it. We took pictures this morning, gave them hugs and they were out that back gate and walking the halls within seconds. What a dream.
Our sweet baby boy Eli is starting the first grade! He's super excited to have lunch at school and to have recess. And I'm so happy... he gets to be in Mrs. Packer's class! She was Bennett and Anya's Kindergarten teacher a few years ago.
Bennett is is in 4th grade now! His two years in the Elementary school in Springville did not treat him well, which is one of the main reasons we moved back. He needs teachers who make learning exciting and fun, and who truly believe in him despite his reading disability and will help him to love school again. This will be his teacher's first year teaching, so she definitely has energy and excitement...now let's hope she will have skills that will help him progress, as well. I 'm planning to get him into private tutoring, as well.
Can I just say one thing though? It's completely silent in our house right now. Like, the only thing I am hearing is the birds chirping outside and the clicking of my fingers on the keyboard. ALL of my kids are in school! I have from 8:20 am until 2:30 p.m. all to myself. It's weird, but so amazing. I actually have time to sit down at the computer without someone complaining that there's nothing to do or eat. ;)
I won't ever be able to catch up on the blog. But I really want to pick things up from here and start blogging our lives again. I've been doing little snippets on Instagram for the past year or so, but I miss writing. Writing is what makes me happy. It helps me to think about the present. To live in it and appreciate it. And those blog books bring us so much joy.
So....without further words, I bring to you the first day of school! Today!!
Sadie left for her first day at AF High at 7:20. She wouldn't let me take any pictures, dang her. She looked gorgeous, though. She's been so nervous about starting a new High School. She loved Springville High so much. This has been a hard thing for her. But luckily she knows a handful of people from our neighborhood, after growing up here. She has been battling migraines this past year. Stress brings them on in greater abundance. We're working on getting to the bottom of them because they make her miss a lot of school. Her grades last year suffered big time. What a trooper she is, though. She's going to do amazing things one day.
The boys have all returned to our beloved charter school after moving back. The school is literally right behind the house. We have a back gate that goes to the playground behind it. We took pictures this morning, gave them hugs and they were out that back gate and walking the halls within seconds. What a dream.
Our sweet baby boy Eli is starting the first grade! He's super excited to have lunch at school and to have recess. And I'm so happy... he gets to be in Mrs. Packer's class! She was Bennett and Anya's Kindergarten teacher a few years ago.
Bennett is is in 4th grade now! His two years in the Elementary school in Springville did not treat him well, which is one of the main reasons we moved back. He needs teachers who make learning exciting and fun, and who truly believe in him despite his reading disability and will help him to love school again. This will be his teacher's first year teaching, so she definitely has energy and excitement...now let's hope she will have skills that will help him progress, as well. I 'm planning to get him into private tutoring, as well.
Max is in the 8th grade! Lincoln Academy goes up to 9th grade, so he'll be going there this year, and he'll decide later if he'll do 9th at Lincoln or at AF Jr. High so he can get to know more of the people he'll go to high school with. I have a feeling this is going to be a much better year for him, though.
He of course wasn't happy about me taking his picture and told me he wasn't going to smile. So this is what we got. :)
Twenty minutes after the boys leave for school, the bus comes to pick up Anya and Hazel.
After a lot of back and forth, we decided to have them both go to the Life Skills class with the district. I've always been pushing for full inclusion since they joined us, but let's face it, way too much falls through the cracks with their learning when they don't have teachers who are trained to work well with them and make sure they are learning all that they can learn. The teacher of the Life Skills class here has been doing this for 45 years and she is amazing! They will still spend probably half of the day in the regular ed classrooms, eat lunch with the regular ed students, and go to recess with them. But the difference is that they will also get lots of direct instruction in a small cluster class, learning not only academics, but social skills and life skills that regular ed classes don't work on. We need this.
I'm interested to see how this goes with Anya being in the same classroom as Hazel for part of the day. Anya is very motherly/OCD with Hazel. She is always aware of what she's doing and obsesses about making sure everything is equal between them. I'm hoping that having a very consistent teacher and lots of other kids doing the same things, will distract her from that.
Watching them get on the bus together this morning made my heart so happy though. So fun.
Here's to a fantastic school year! Yes!!







1 comment:
Now that I no longer have Facebook, I am so glad that I will still be able to see family updates from you now :) I hope your kiddos have a great school year!
Post a Comment