Now that Landon is off to the Philippines, I have a little time to post some pictures from this past week as we went through all of the final steps for his departure.
Landon was extra snuggly and sweet with his siblings during those final weeks before he left. It melted his parents hearts.
Landon gave his farewell talk in our ward on Sunday, December 14. The topic he was given is "The Power of the Gospel to Change Lives." He prepared a beautiful talk. The spirit was so abundant as he spoke. He is so ready to go represent his Lord and Savior in the Philippines! Here is a link to an audio recording of Landon's Farewell talk. if you would like to hear it as it was given. Or if you would rather read it, here it is in writing:
Good morning brothers and sisters. My name is Landon Fillmore and I have been called to serve in the Philippines, Angeles mission. I report to the Manila MTC in 3 days and I couldn’t be more excited for the grand adventure that lies before me. I would like to start today by first saying thanks to all of you for coming. Many of my closest family members and friends are here today, as well as people from my previous ward family and I thank each of you for coming to support me today!
Now, when I first received my topic from the bishop, I was a little overwhelmed. I was told to speak on the power of the gospel to change lives. Now, I know what you are thinking. You’re thinking, hey, the gospel has changed my life! Or hey, I know someone whose life was changed by the gospel! There are countless stories about this topic, which is why I have chosen to turn the time over to the congregation, since I’m sure you can all teach it much better than I. That will make my job a whole lot easier this morning. I sure hope that’s okay bishop!
Well, I did decide to prepare a few thoughts just in case my plan fell through, and I pray that the spirit may be present as I do so. The spirit, when accepted into our hearts, will teach us much more than I will ever be able to. I begin by telling a story from the scriptures. This story immediately came to mind when I thought about the gospel changing a person’s life. It comes from Mosiah Chapter 27. This is the story of Alma the Younger. His father’s name was also Alma, and Alma the Older had been ordained leader of the church by King Mosiah. This was during a time when many members of the church were beginning to do wicked things and fall away from the church. Among these dissenters was Alma the Younger and the 4 sons of King Mosiah. These 5 men went about and tried to destroy the church and many people listened to them and fell away. One day, an angel of the Lord appeared unto Alma the Younger and the sons of Mosiah and asked why they were fighting against the church. The ground shook as he told them to stop their evil works and to repent. Alma the Younger was scared; he fell to the ground and didn’t wake up for a few days. When he awoke, he sought to undo the damage he had caused to the church and bring all men back to Christ. One thing that stood out to me in this story was the desire of Alma the Younger to go and help others after he himself has been edified. There is no greater gift in this world than our Savior and his eternal sacrifice for each one of us. After Alma had his amazing experience with the angel, he immediately had the desire to share what he had learned with others.
We see this same desire earlier in the Book of Mormon when Lehi tasted the fruit of the Tree of Life. In 1st Nephi Chapter 8 verse 11-12 it reads. “And it came to pass that I did go forth and partake of the fruit thereof; and I beheld that it was most sweet, above all that I ever before tasted. Yea, and I beheld that the fruit thereof was white, to exceed all the whiteness that I had ever seen.” “And as I partook of the fruit thereof it filled my soul with exceedingly great joy; wherefore, I began to be desirous that my family should partake of it also; for I knew that it was desirable above all other fruit.” The first desire Lehi had immediately after partaking of the fruit was to share it with those he loved. The first desire Alma the Younger had after his encounter with the angel was to go out and fix the damage he had done, and share the strength he had received from his own conversion. Alma followed the counsel of Jesus Christ, who in the final days of his mortal ministry said to Peter, “… When thou art converted, strengthen thy brethren.” We should all do as the Savior commanded and seek for ways to strengthen our brethren once we have been converted.
Now brothers and sisters, I hope it doesn’t take the chastisement of an angel, as it did with Alma the Younger, to make us realize we are doing something wrong. The first step toward change is acknowledging the issue in our lives, and then gaining a desire to fix it. This is made possible by the Atonement of our Savior, Jesus Christ, and through him, all men have the ability to change.
I don’t know about all of you, but I’ve made my fair share of mistakes throughout my life, and I’m only 18! There have been periods of time where I’ve let go of that Rod of Iron and strayed into the Mists of Darkness for whatever reason. We may not realize it at the time, but because of Christ, we all have the chance to retrace our steps and make it back onto the straight and narrow path. We may think we have ventured too far. Or that we have been gone for too long. But we have a kind, loving, and patient Heavenly Father. He doesn’t simply say, “Well, he’s been away for too many years. He must not be coming back. I guess I’ll just move on without him.” This is not so. He is standing right where we left him, with open arms, waiting for the chance to embrace and welcome us back into his presence. Through Christ, we all have the opportunity to do just that; to forsake our sins and fight through that evil mist of darkness, right back into his arms. I have experienced this for myself and have gained a testimony of the Atonement that will remain with me for the rest of my life. I know that because of Him, no matter what I do or how many times I do it, I can become clean again.
I was recently able to go on splits with the local missionaries. We were teaching a lesson to a brother who had recently started coming to church, and he explained his conversion in a way that I really liked. Growing up, he had struggled with drug addiction. He’s been clean for quite a few years now, and looking back, he views his life as a bookshelf. Everyone’s bookshelf looks a little bit different. Each is full of different books that make up who we are individually. When this man-made the choice to quit drugs and get clean, he removed that book from the shelf. It wasn’t easy, because it was a big book and sat on the top shelf. But once he finally pulled it out, he realized there was a big empty space where that book had once been. Many people rationalize, saying that book was just part of who they were, so they would put it back on the shelf instead of making a change. But this time was different. This time, instead of putting the book back, he threw it away. He then made a very important decision. He let the light of Christ fill the empty slot. He made a choice to make a change, and then allowed Christ into his life. I challenge each of you to take a look at your own bookshelf and allow Christ to change you. Because of the atonement, Christ knows better than even ourselves what changes need to be made in our lives, and what it takes to get us there.
There is an amazing quote by C. S. Lewis that explains this perfectly. “Imagine yourself as a living house. God comes in to rebuild that house. At first, perhaps, you can understand what He is doing. He is getting the drains right and stopping the leaks in the roof and so on; you knew that those jobs needed doing and so you are not surprised. But presently He starts knocking the house about in a way that hurts abominably and does not seem to make any sense. What on earth is He up to? The explanation is that He is building quite a different house from the one you thought of - throwing out a new wing here, putting on an extra floor there, running up towers, making courtyards. You thought you were being made into a decent little cottage: but He is building a palace. He intends to come and live in it Himself.” It is important to note brothers and sisters that when Christ comes into our lives, he does not simply make the obvious repairs and clean the place up a little. He does much more than what we ask of him. Instead, he creates a place where even he, the creator of all things, would be comfortable living.
I am so grateful for the amazing opportunity I have to share this gospel with the people of the Philippines. I know that the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is the only church on the Earth today that contains the fullness of the gospel. It is built upon the teachings of Christ, whereon, if men build, they cannot fall. I also know this church is blessed with modern-day revelation given through our true and living prophets. How blessed we are to live in a time where the gospel is being brought to all ends of the earth, and I can’t wait to contribute my own time and effort towards that cause. I know that the Book of Mormon is true, and is another testament of Jesus Christ. I know that Joseph Smith was chosen by God to re-establish his church in these Latter-days. That he is a true prophet, and that through his efforts, we are blessed with the gospel we have today. I also know that Jesus Christ lives and that he suffered and died for each of us individually. I have a testimony of his Continuous Atonement, and its essential role in the Plan of Salvation; that through him, all mankind can be saved. This gospel has a very real power to change lives. I am leaving my family for a short 2 years, so that others have the chance to live with theirs for all of eternity. This church is true. I say these things in the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.
After sacrament meeting, we had an open house where we served Cafe Rio-style salads to all of our friends and family who came to hear him speak. We had about 80 people in our house. It was crowded, but we felt such a great energy from everyone who has influenced Landon's life so far, and has been a part of his decision to serve a full-time mission. Landon's Dad's family all came, as well as many friends from our previous ward in American Fork, where we lived for 12 years before moving here a year ago.

We set up extra tables in the living room, office and family room upstairs, but it still wasn't enough room for everyone who came. Our hearts were filled to the brim. Luckily, we had enough food!

One of the toughest goodbyes was with Landon's best friend, Kyle. They have been buddies since the 2nd grade and Kyle's family is like family to Landon.

Landon gave his farewell talk in our ward on Sunday, December 14. The topic he was given is "The Power of the Gospel to Change Lives." He prepared a beautiful talk. The spirit was so abundant as he spoke. He is so ready to go represent his Lord and Savior in the Philippines! Here is a link to an audio recording of Landon's Farewell talk. if you would like to hear it as it was given. Or if you would rather read it, here it is in writing:
Good morning brothers and sisters. My name is Landon Fillmore and I have been called to serve in the Philippines, Angeles mission. I report to the Manila MTC in 3 days and I couldn’t be more excited for the grand adventure that lies before me. I would like to start today by first saying thanks to all of you for coming. Many of my closest family members and friends are here today, as well as people from my previous ward family and I thank each of you for coming to support me today!
Now, when I first received my topic from the bishop, I was a little overwhelmed. I was told to speak on the power of the gospel to change lives. Now, I know what you are thinking. You’re thinking, hey, the gospel has changed my life! Or hey, I know someone whose life was changed by the gospel! There are countless stories about this topic, which is why I have chosen to turn the time over to the congregation, since I’m sure you can all teach it much better than I. That will make my job a whole lot easier this morning. I sure hope that’s okay bishop!
Well, I did decide to prepare a few thoughts just in case my plan fell through, and I pray that the spirit may be present as I do so. The spirit, when accepted into our hearts, will teach us much more than I will ever be able to. I begin by telling a story from the scriptures. This story immediately came to mind when I thought about the gospel changing a person’s life. It comes from Mosiah Chapter 27. This is the story of Alma the Younger. His father’s name was also Alma, and Alma the Older had been ordained leader of the church by King Mosiah. This was during a time when many members of the church were beginning to do wicked things and fall away from the church. Among these dissenters was Alma the Younger and the 4 sons of King Mosiah. These 5 men went about and tried to destroy the church and many people listened to them and fell away. One day, an angel of the Lord appeared unto Alma the Younger and the sons of Mosiah and asked why they were fighting against the church. The ground shook as he told them to stop their evil works and to repent. Alma the Younger was scared; he fell to the ground and didn’t wake up for a few days. When he awoke, he sought to undo the damage he had caused to the church and bring all men back to Christ. One thing that stood out to me in this story was the desire of Alma the Younger to go and help others after he himself has been edified. There is no greater gift in this world than our Savior and his eternal sacrifice for each one of us. After Alma had his amazing experience with the angel, he immediately had the desire to share what he had learned with others.
We see this same desire earlier in the Book of Mormon when Lehi tasted the fruit of the Tree of Life. In 1st Nephi Chapter 8 verse 11-12 it reads. “And it came to pass that I did go forth and partake of the fruit thereof; and I beheld that it was most sweet, above all that I ever before tasted. Yea, and I beheld that the fruit thereof was white, to exceed all the whiteness that I had ever seen.” “And as I partook of the fruit thereof it filled my soul with exceedingly great joy; wherefore, I began to be desirous that my family should partake of it also; for I knew that it was desirable above all other fruit.” The first desire Lehi had immediately after partaking of the fruit was to share it with those he loved. The first desire Alma the Younger had after his encounter with the angel was to go out and fix the damage he had done, and share the strength he had received from his own conversion. Alma followed the counsel of Jesus Christ, who in the final days of his mortal ministry said to Peter, “… When thou art converted, strengthen thy brethren.” We should all do as the Savior commanded and seek for ways to strengthen our brethren once we have been converted.
Now brothers and sisters, I hope it doesn’t take the chastisement of an angel, as it did with Alma the Younger, to make us realize we are doing something wrong. The first step toward change is acknowledging the issue in our lives, and then gaining a desire to fix it. This is made possible by the Atonement of our Savior, Jesus Christ, and through him, all men have the ability to change.
I don’t know about all of you, but I’ve made my fair share of mistakes throughout my life, and I’m only 18! There have been periods of time where I’ve let go of that Rod of Iron and strayed into the Mists of Darkness for whatever reason. We may not realize it at the time, but because of Christ, we all have the chance to retrace our steps and make it back onto the straight and narrow path. We may think we have ventured too far. Or that we have been gone for too long. But we have a kind, loving, and patient Heavenly Father. He doesn’t simply say, “Well, he’s been away for too many years. He must not be coming back. I guess I’ll just move on without him.” This is not so. He is standing right where we left him, with open arms, waiting for the chance to embrace and welcome us back into his presence. Through Christ, we all have the opportunity to do just that; to forsake our sins and fight through that evil mist of darkness, right back into his arms. I have experienced this for myself and have gained a testimony of the Atonement that will remain with me for the rest of my life. I know that because of Him, no matter what I do or how many times I do it, I can become clean again.
I was recently able to go on splits with the local missionaries. We were teaching a lesson to a brother who had recently started coming to church, and he explained his conversion in a way that I really liked. Growing up, he had struggled with drug addiction. He’s been clean for quite a few years now, and looking back, he views his life as a bookshelf. Everyone’s bookshelf looks a little bit different. Each is full of different books that make up who we are individually. When this man-made the choice to quit drugs and get clean, he removed that book from the shelf. It wasn’t easy, because it was a big book and sat on the top shelf. But once he finally pulled it out, he realized there was a big empty space where that book had once been. Many people rationalize, saying that book was just part of who they were, so they would put it back on the shelf instead of making a change. But this time was different. This time, instead of putting the book back, he threw it away. He then made a very important decision. He let the light of Christ fill the empty slot. He made a choice to make a change, and then allowed Christ into his life. I challenge each of you to take a look at your own bookshelf and allow Christ to change you. Because of the atonement, Christ knows better than even ourselves what changes need to be made in our lives, and what it takes to get us there.
There is an amazing quote by C. S. Lewis that explains this perfectly. “Imagine yourself as a living house. God comes in to rebuild that house. At first, perhaps, you can understand what He is doing. He is getting the drains right and stopping the leaks in the roof and so on; you knew that those jobs needed doing and so you are not surprised. But presently He starts knocking the house about in a way that hurts abominably and does not seem to make any sense. What on earth is He up to? The explanation is that He is building quite a different house from the one you thought of - throwing out a new wing here, putting on an extra floor there, running up towers, making courtyards. You thought you were being made into a decent little cottage: but He is building a palace. He intends to come and live in it Himself.” It is important to note brothers and sisters that when Christ comes into our lives, he does not simply make the obvious repairs and clean the place up a little. He does much more than what we ask of him. Instead, he creates a place where even he, the creator of all things, would be comfortable living.
I am so grateful for the amazing opportunity I have to share this gospel with the people of the Philippines. I know that the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is the only church on the Earth today that contains the fullness of the gospel. It is built upon the teachings of Christ, whereon, if men build, they cannot fall. I also know this church is blessed with modern-day revelation given through our true and living prophets. How blessed we are to live in a time where the gospel is being brought to all ends of the earth, and I can’t wait to contribute my own time and effort towards that cause. I know that the Book of Mormon is true, and is another testament of Jesus Christ. I know that Joseph Smith was chosen by God to re-establish his church in these Latter-days. That he is a true prophet, and that through his efforts, we are blessed with the gospel we have today. I also know that Jesus Christ lives and that he suffered and died for each of us individually. I have a testimony of his Continuous Atonement, and its essential role in the Plan of Salvation; that through him, all mankind can be saved. This gospel has a very real power to change lives. I am leaving my family for a short 2 years, so that others have the chance to live with theirs for all of eternity. This church is true. I say these things in the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.
After sacrament meeting, we had an open house where we served Cafe Rio-style salads to all of our friends and family who came to hear him speak. We had about 80 people in our house. It was crowded, but we felt such a great energy from everyone who has influenced Landon's life so far, and has been a part of his decision to serve a full-time mission. Landon's Dad's family all came, as well as many friends from our previous ward in American Fork, where we lived for 12 years before moving here a year ago.

We set up extra tables in the living room, office and family room upstairs, but it still wasn't enough room for everyone who came. Our hearts were filled to the brim. Luckily, we had enough food!

One of the toughest goodbyes was with Landon's best friend, Kyle. They have been buddies since the 2nd grade and Kyle's family is like family to Landon.

On Monday night, our family celebrated Christmas with Landon since he won't be here when it comes. Each of the children exchanged gifts (we drew names) and Landon bought a gift for each of them. What a special, final Family Home Evening before big brother left.
We even had a visit from Santa...who looked a lot like Dad!
Tuesday afternoon, Dad spent a few hours out shopping with Landon, getting some final supplies that he needed.
But first, they had to stop at Beto's for a final lunch and a quick selfie. Beto's is Landon's
favorite.
Late that afternoon, Dad and Sadie helped Landon pack everything in his suitcases while Mom put together his "wellness kit." He fit everything he needed for two years into one suitcase and a carry-on! That's what happens when you're planning to wear the same thing every day in a hot, humid climate! He didn't even have to pack a suit...very unusual for an LDS missionary.
That night, we went out as a family to Magleby's for Landon's "Last Supper." Landon's girlfriend, McKell came, too. She is so special to him, we couldn't leave her out for such an event. :)
Our pictures are all blurry! Good 'ol phone cameras. Oh well, you get the idea.
After dinner, Landon and McKell had some time alone for a while to say their goodbyes before Landon was set apart as a missionary. So hard. :( Two years is a long time to be away from someone you love.
At 9:15, the family all went over to the Stake President's office. President Oldroyd talked with us for a few minutes, then Bishop Tolley asked Landon if he would like to say a few words to his siblings. Let me tell you, there were lots and lots of tears shed. We must have used up half of the box of tissues. Landon told each of his brothers and sisters how important they were to him and how they each affected his decision to serve. He bore his testimony to them as well. It was such a sweet moment. A paycheck of the heart.
The blessing that President Oldroyd pronounced as he, the bishop and Landon's Dad placed their hands on his head, was profound and beautiful. They spoke of the valiant spirit that he has and his ability to touch lives. The Lord has huge plans for this servant of his. We can't wait to see how it all unfolds.
After the setting apart, we went home, put the kids to bed, then helped Landon with his final packing. What a special night that was for us. So emotional.
We left at 4:30 a.m. for the SLC airport. Everyone in the family got up except Hazel. We left her all snug in her bed and let our basement renters listen for her.
She wouldn't have understood what we were doing anyway
.


Saying goodbye was very, very hard. As a parent of a missionary who is leaving, you feel your heart being ripped right out of your chest. It's hard to let go of your baby.
I know that angels will be with him every step of the way, but man...this is it.
This is where his childhood ends. Sniff sniff.
They grow up so fast.
Our last photo with big brother for two years! We're gonna miss him, but we know that he is going to have many incredible experiences that are going to teach him in ways that he could never experience otherwise. We also know that his service to the Lord is going to bless us as a family! And we know that he is truly representing the Lord in this work. That knowledge makes our separation much easier.
We are so excited to hear about his first week in the Philippines MTC.
We get to Skype with him on Christmas Eve night.
It will be Christmas Day where he is. Maybe we can record our conversation with him. We'll give it a try!












No comments:
Post a Comment