Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Knee Surgery

So, I've had bad knees for the past nine years. 
I messed them up when I started into teaching Turbokick 
too soon after I had Bennett.
Ever since, they have hurt. 
Going up stairs, squatting, kneeling, running...
you name it. 

I wanted to have surgery for years but couldn't justify
the expense of it.

Because our $12K deductible was finally met this year with Hazel's hospital stay,
I decided it was now or never.

I can only have one knee operated on at a time 
because I need to be able to get around by putting my weight on the other leg.

I went in for the left knee surgery on September 4.
It was a really quick surgery.
The surgeon scoped it, removed all of the frayed cartilage 
and cut down the middle of the tendon 
that runs along the outside of the kneecap, 
releasing it so that it could track in the middle 
where it belongs.


The first day I was amazed at
how little pain I had.
But then the swelling and bruising started. 
Ouch! They were a bit sore.

One week after surgery. Very tender.

I was really limping the first couple of weeks. 
Physical therapy helped a lot, though.


This is how a mom recovers. With kids at her feet. :)

It's now 2 months after surgery and it's still really weak. 
I can't run at all and my knee gives out on me a lot. 
I'm missing my sweaty workouts like crazy. 
Time to get a stationary bike.

Surgery #2 will be after Christmas. 
Trying to decide if I should have the doctor 
release the tendon on this one or not. 
That's the hardest part of the recovery. 
So not looking forward to this. 
If it helps, it will be worth it, though.
Good times!




No comments: