Little Things--January, 2011
I've been the Ward Choir Director for almost a year and a half. I love bringing voices together and helping to create something that touches people's hearts when they come to church. The part I don't love is having to bug people all the time about giving up their down-time on Sundays to come rehearse. But it's just part of the job! It's been an easy calling to have during a very crazy adoption year. I'm grateful for that.
Our good friends, The Brady's whom we have known since college, built a home right in our neighborhood this past fall. We LOVE having them as neighbors and ward members! It's so fun!
Eli (21 months) is the cutest dang toddler in the whole world. When he's doing something that he knows is naughty, he says, "no, no, NO" as he's doing it. He also runs to the door whenever Dad comes home, flings it open (if it happens to be unlocked) and says "Hi-eeeeee" over and over again until Daddy picks him up and loves on him. He knows how to say Landon (Nannon), Sadie (see-dee), Daddy, Mamma, bye-bye, teeth, water (wa-wa), ni-night, apple (bapoo), banana (nana), bubbles (buboos), Elmo, and "Lady Ga-Ga." (Ha!The kids taught him that one. He has no clue who it is, but they think it's hillarious.) The other funny thing he says all the time is "good-to-go" which doesn't mean what you think it would. Actually, we aren't sure what it means, but he says it when he's happy.
Sadie (almost 12) loves Eli, and happily entertains him often. I don't know what I would do without her! However, she does NOT like babysitting him. She always begs us to take him with us when we go out and complains, "UGH! He's such a PILL!" Unfortunately, one cannot relax and babysit Eli at the same time.
Sadie only has five Sundays left in Primary (our church's children's organization.) As wonderful as Primary is, she is more than done with it and is excited beyond words to graduate into the Young Women's program.
Sadie is also extremely excited for her little sis, Anya to come home. Ask anyone who knows her. She can hardly wait to dress her up and show her off to all of her friends. She's sad that Anya won't be coming to her school for a year or two because she believes that Anya will make her the most popular girl at Lincoln Academy. ;)
Speaking of dressing up Anya, check out her closet. It is packed, thanks to my fashionable, generous sister, Jen who has two girls. I think it's safe to say that Anya will be our best-dressed child. :) The only thing we will need to buy for her is underwear and maybe a few hair things. Wow, what a blessing!
Even though we live in Utah where release-time seminary is offered, Landon (14) goes to early-morning seminary. His schedule didn't allow release-time, so Jeremy gets up at 5:45 every other morning to drive him to A.F. High for seminary. Surprisigly, Landon loves it. His teacher makes it so fun and interesting. I love that he loves it!
Max (8) and Landon are both on City Basketball teams. Jeremy is coaching Landon's team and helping Matt coach Max's team. Jeremy has discovered the joy of coaching his sons this past year. He has grown closer to both of them this way, and has learned that it's an investment of time that definitely pays off.
I have come to value my blogs like priceless treasures. They stand by me, encourage me and remind me of blessings. They listen when I need an understanding ear. They help me discover hidden truths about life and about myself. They reward me for me for fighting in the trenches of motherhood and adoption, and make me want to fight even harder for my team. They remind me to cherish my children while they are still "mine." They have also introduced me to some wonderful friends and have helped us stay close to our family members that we don't see often.
We just got Netflix this past week and love that we can download movies and TV shows to the Wii and watch them instantly. We were spending way too much money on Redbox movies because we never returned them on time. This is a great alternative at only $10 a month! We don't have cable TV, so it helps fill in the gaps when we just want to veg.
Landon, Sadie and Max are trying out a new piano method called Simply Music. They are in small group classes. It's a playing-based approach to music, instead of a reading-based approach. It teaches them how music is made up of chords that are broken apart in different ways. They learn to compose, improvise and play around on the piano. Max absolutely loves it. Sadie and Landon are inconvenienced by it, but they would be with any music lessons right now. I love what they have already learned, though! We have the lessons at our house and it gives us a big discount on tuition.
We usually eat a home style meat-and-potatoes meal on Sunday, soup on Monday, Mexican on Tuesday, vegetarian or fish on Wednesday, Italian on Thursday, Pizza on Friday and easy stuff like sandwiches or left-overs on Saturday. I know, I sound really organized, don't I? Actually, I just hate planning menus and shopping lists. This system makes it much easier mentally and works great for us.
Bennett (5) is currently into creating things out of paper or cardboard or whatever else he can find, and tape or staples. He has created airplanes, guns, ships, capes ...you name it. Whenever he has time to himself he is usually creating. Maybe he'll be an architect like his dad some day. Hmmmm...
Bennett's preschool teacher, Ms. Amy told me that he's like a magnet at school. All the other kids fight over who gets to sit by him or play with him. He does have charisma for a kid his age. He loves to socialize and is not afraid to talk to anyone. What a kid.
I just love Max right now. My favorite age for boys is 7-10. They are past the tantrum phase, they still love using their imagination and really playing and they are not worried about being "cool." Max got a part in the school play, "The King and I" and they are just starting rehearsals. I sure hope we're not in Russia when the play is happening. I would hate to miss it.
(Photo courtesy of Sadie. Not bad, eh?)
Right now, I want:
To be done with paperwork. I cannot wait until Anya is ours and I won't have to have one more paper notarized or apostilled. Don't get me wrong...she is so very worth it. I'm just ready to be d-o-n-e!
A cleaning person to come in once a month and deep-clean the house. The kids just don't do the job. This is just a wish...but it sure would be nice!
A new camera. Mine is one of the earlier Canon Rebels and it's OK, but I'm ready for an upgrade so I can get a little more serious about photography.
A house that has: a bigger kitchen table area where you can walk around the table without making everyone scoot in, a bigger garage and a fenced in back yard. BUT I don't want to live in different ward boundaries or have a bigger mortgage to pay. Hmmmm. How are we gonna swing that one?
Right now, I am grateful that:
Jeremy's Landscape Architecture Firm has been blessed with steady work this past year. Most of his projects have come from a few key architects, engineers and contractors that he has good relationships with. We thank God every day that Northland Design is busy, and supporting two families during the tough economy. We recognize it as a miracle.
Jeremy doesn't have to work late nights. It's so nice to have him home for dinner. A few years ago when his business was booming, we had plenty of money for fun vacations and frequent nights of eating out. BUT. Jeremy was stressed and worked a lot more hours. This recession has really taught us what is most important. We're not so sure we prefer things the way they used to be, as nice as the money sounds.
We've finally got a good scripture study habit going on in the family. We used to do it at night and it was crazy and frustrating. This school year, the kids get out of bed a half hour earlier than they did last year. We meet in the living room at 7:00 for scripture time and a family prayer. It has made a huge difference in all of us.
We are healthy! You know how you have your bad winters and your good ones,as far as health goes? We are so lucky that all we've had is Landon's chickenpox in November and some minor colds--knock on wood!
Healthcare stuff:
We just switched from regular health insurance to a high-deductible plan where you have a low monthly premium but you have to pay for health care up front until you reach your deductible. Should be interesting to see if/how much it will save us.
We haven't been to the dentist in over a year. I really need to make some appointments.
Max's tendency to be very thorough is proving to be a great asset at school. His teacher gave him this award when he was, for the second time in a row, the first student to turn in his report. So cute! He loves school. His teacher, Mrs. Webster is absolutely amazing, which plays a part in this, I'm sure. Come to think of it, all of his teachers have been extraordinary. What a lucky kid he is. And how blessed they all are to be at Lincoln Academy.
I got our 2009 blog book in the mail today. Now we have two! Talk about motivation. It is soooo awesome. Our memories are worth every hour and every penny!
Man, this ended up not being so "abbreviated" after all--sorry! There's just too much happening in the busy Fillmore house. We wouldn't have it any other way, though. Life is wonderful.









1 comment:
Thanks, it was good to read all those update on your family!
Haha, I so KNOW that babysitting part- just wanted to let Sadie know: She's not alone with it! I love, love, LOVE my cutie Rio but... well, let's say, I don't necessarily have to babysit him too often...
Oh, and I am and will probably always be still in love with your boys. They sure are to be proud of- all 4 of course! =)
Post a Comment