In just a week and a half, Jeremy and I will board some airplanes that will lead us to Eastern Europe. We will land in a place we've never been and never imagined we would go. We'll leave our five sweeties here in the states, under the care of both sets of grandparents, during Thanksgiving time. We'll experience emotions we've never felt as a beautiful five-year-old girl whom we have never met is brought into a room and told that we are going to be her momma and daddy. We'll visit her every day for five days, during which time we will grow to love her as our own. Then we will have to say goodbye to her and won't be able to complete the adoption for a few months. This is going to be so hard.
We've been in the process of adoption for eight months and I have to say, there was a time I wondered if I would ever feel ready. A few months ago when we were waiting for word of our travel date, I still had some emotional things to sort through. I knew this was God's plan, but wasn't sure I was up for the challenge of raising a child with special needs and worried about all the what-ifs.
What has happened since then has been nothing short of a miracle. To make a make a long, personal story short, I am now ready. Not only ready, but excited beyond words! God knew that I needed that time. Not only me, but the whole family. He has equipped us with a love for this child and a confidence in Him that we never knew was possible. What once felt a bit overwhelming now feels...perfect. This was a conversion process, like coming to know a principle of the gospel is true. It has taken me to places I've never been and brought me closer to the Savior than ever before. I will always be grateful for this.
Last night, Jeremy read our family a talk by one of our church's leaders, President Dieter F. Uchtdorf. It's called You are My Hands. The whole talk is so encouraging and reminds us of the blessings that come from loving others and acting as Christ's hands on this earth. This sentence really stood out to me:
As we extend our hands and hearts toward others in Christlike love, something wonderful happens to us. Our own spirits become healed, more refined, and stronger. We become happier, more peaceful, and more receptive to the whisperings of the Holy Spirit.
Boy, is he ever right. Something wonderful is happening to our family. We are happier, more at peace, and more receptive to the whisperings of the Holy Spirit. It's definitely not blissful and contention-free around here all the time, but we are feeling these things in a much greater measure. The Lord never falls short of His promises. This I know.
Speaking of being stronger, I need to go make dinner. Have a great one!
Tuesday, November 9, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment