Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Celebrating Hazel
























We celebrated Hazel's 7th birthday on Sept.8.
It was one of those quick, in-between-other-stuff celebrations. But she didn't care one bit!

 I love watching her catch onto things like traditions. She definitely knew that we were celebrating HER that day. And of course, Eli and Anya could hardly contain their excitement while they watched.

We loved watching her blow out the candles. She kept trying and trying. Just not enough power behind her blower.  So just when she was fed up with it all, Eli finished the job. The timing was epic.


And here's everyone's reaction. Pure entertainment right there.

We gave her a new baby doll for her birthday. A little one with a soft body that's easier to cuddle than her big dolls.  She loves her new baby.

























Looking at these pictures brings bittersweet feelings.

I feel sad that she has only had 3 of her 7 birthdays with us. Sad we missed those early years. Sad for what her birth family is missing out on...seeing her wonder, her joy, and her preciousness, experiencing life through a more clear, beautiful lens. 


But I'm also grateful. Grateful that we now have that opportunity, and for the person that she is molding me into. It's true that the very things that make our lives hard are the things that make us feel the truest, deepest joy.  Sweet girl had a rough start in life, and we kind of had to pick up all the pieces from that and help her to heal. It's kind of like she was stuck...not able to progress much because of all of the hurt that was causing her to stay in fight or flight mode all the time. The process has been messy at times. Adoption has taught me more about myself than I ever knew that I wanted to know. 


But I really feel like we've climbed out of it and we are now seeing her blossom into the most beautiful human being. I just want to eat her up sometimes because she's so darn cute. Her cuteness now outweighs her stinker-ness. It has taken nearly 3 years for me to say this with confidence. But I love this, and I love that my love for her continually grows, each day. 


She is my sweet miracle. My Hazie-girl. 

No comments: